Be sure to take the right safety precautions before you mow.
- Never attempt to lift or repair mower with engine running.
- When mowing with a walk-behind mower, wear heavy-duty shoes with non-slip soles and long pants to protect your legs.
- Always wear eye protection when operating a mower.
- Don't mow a wet lawn or late in the day when the light is dim.
- Never let the starter robe snap back when starting mower.
- Always mow up and down an incline with a traditional (i.e. unit with steering wheel) riding mower.
- Always mow across an incline with a residential walk-behind mower.
- Never adjust mower height, clean grass chute, or remove grass catcher with engine running.
- Always stay clear of hot engine. Mufflers can reach up to 1,200 F (648 C