Tip & How-To about Garden
Now that the snow has started to melt and we are finally starting to see the first signs of Spring, it is time to think about servicing your riding mower. There are a few simple steps that will allow you to assess the condition of your lawn mower.
1. The first step is to charge your battery (after sitting over the winter it will be in need of a recharge, use trickle charger around 2 amps for 4 to 6 hours).
2, The next step is to remove the air filter and check the condition of the paper element and pre-cleaner. Rinse out the pre-cleaner with warm soapy water and blow dry.
3. Once the pre-cleaner is dry, use a clean 4 cycle oil and re-oil the element lightly, then squeeze off the excess oil.
4. To ensure your mower is cutting properly, check the blades. This will give you an opportunity to check the condition of your cutting deck for cracks and broken parts, and if there are grease fittings, grease with a good quality product. If your blades look dull or damaged have them sharpened or replaced.
5. Check the tire pressure, proper tire pressure will ensure an even cut, inflate to the recommended tire pressure.
6. If your engine oil hasn't been changed lately, now is the time to do it. Drain the oil and use a good quality SAE 30 oil.
7. While you are at it, now is a good time to change the spark plug that is recommended by the manufacturer. Set the gap at .030".
8. If you do not feel comfortable performing these steps yourself, or for a more thorough inspection, bring your lawn mower to your usual repair shop.
Posted by denis on
Feb 25, 2011 | 2002 GMC Sierra 1500
Jan 12, 2010 | Toro Garden
Nov 08, 2009 | Craftsman Garden
Oct 01, 2009 | Garden