Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
At one or another, most of us encounter a virus. Most times it can be easily removed for free. All it takes is a little time and a free program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This program can be downloaded from <http://www.malwarebytes.org/>.
If you have access to the internet on the infected computer, just download and install the program. If you cannot access the internet, don't worry. You can download the program on another computer to a flash drive or CD.
Install the program and save a shortcut to your desktop. Open the program and update it. Again, if you have no internet access you can still update the program following these simple steps.
1. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on another computer.
2. Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Navigate to the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware install folder.
4. Copy the rules.ref file to your flash drive. (if you can't find the file just use your operating system's search tool)
5. Replace the rules.ref file on the infected computer with the one on your flash drive.
Now you need to start your computer in safe mode. Restart your computer and follow these steps:
1. Hit the F8 key repeatedly until a screen with several options appears.
2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the selection Safe Mode and hit enter.
3. Allow the computer to boot.
4. Log in if prompted.
5. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the shortcut you saved to your desktop earlier.
6. Select Perform full scan.
7. Make sure you select the C:\ drive and any other hard drives that may be infected.
8. Wait for the scan to finish (this may take a long time).
9. When the scan is complete, restart your computer.
10. Celebrate! You just successfully removed a virus!
Posted by Micah... on
Jul 11, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Jul 04, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Aug 01, 2008 | E-Machines Computers & Internet
167 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!