Tip & How-To about Televison & Video

Broken cable connection on your TV?

Has the screw on connection for the cable on the back of your TV broken off or no longer usable?

Here is a quick and inexpensive way to overcome a broken cable connector on the TV if it has RCA inputs available.

Go to your local thrift store or look at Garage/Yard sales and look for an old VCR. Most VCR's have an option to connect to the TV with RCA cables and this will bypass the broken cable connection on the TV and save you that expensive repair shop bill and still keep your TV alive for a while longer.

Hope this has helped you out and saved you some money.

Posted by on

Televison & Video Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I cannot get the setup menu to show on the tv. Everything else is working fine.

I am not entirely clear on your situation because I don't know what type of cables you are using with this new receiver.
In other words, if you are connecting a TV that has HDMI inputs, (flat wide connectors) then you should connect it to the OUTPUT HDMI connector on the back of the receiver. (See the quick setup link below on page 2.
The new inexpensive HDMI cables have a lot of defective units, so cross check with other HDMI cables if you have problems.
If you are using conventional cables because the TV doesn't have HDMI I would connect the yellow cable output labeled "MONITOR" on the back of the receiver to the Yellow input (video 1, or line 1) INPUT on the back of the TV. Then set the TV to Video 1. Then you should get a display of the Setup screen.
Make certain that you push the "setup" button on the front of the receiver.
Below I've put in some links for either the very quick setup and the full manual.
I hope this helps,
Best Regards,

Quick Setup Manual Link

Full Manual Link

Jan 26, 2011 | Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver

1 Answer

the socket for cable hook up is broken off how do i fix it

As costs of repairing a TV can get expensive here is a quick and inexpensive fix.
1) Get a VCR and hook the cable into it and then connect the VCR to the TV with RCA cables. Now days you can get a VCR pretty cheap at a thrift store or a pawn shop then use the tuner in the VCR to change the channels.


2) Get a digital cable box from your cable provider and ask to have it hooked up with RCA cables. This option avoids the need for the cable jack and get to take advantage of the digital channels.

Good Luck...

Jan 19, 2010 | Zenith B27A11Z 27" TV

1 Answer

My daughter knocked the F connector out of the back. I have a barrel shaped threaded plug that must have protruded where you hook up your coax cable. It almost screws back in but just doesn't catch the threads. Is this broken? Can I replace the plug with a new one?

Yes, you can replace the broken plug. This is a quick and inexpensive repair which will require that the TV be taken to a repair shop. Call around and get estimates. You should be able to find a reputable shop that will do this small job for under $25.

Aug 11, 2009 | Televison & Video

Not finding what you are looking for?

951 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

74383 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Electro Med Services...
Electro Med Services...

Level 3 Expert

6694 Answers

Are you a Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions