Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
I guess everyone working on a computer is familiar with the word BIOS and what exactly it is? Still let me tell that BIOS is intelligent software that enables the system to start. I need not to mention that system here refers to computer. Bios facilitate the booting of a system without human intervention. BIOS is a program that is installed in a hardware chip known as ROM chip.
This single word matters a lot to most of the users who face various problems when their system failed to start normally or make some unusual activities. Each time I visit any technical forum I see a lot many users posting their problem regarding BIOS. I researched on internet about BIOS errors and from my knowledge and experience I am posting this piece of help for those who find themselves helpless in getting a solution to BIOS problems.
Sometimes BIOS itself provide a troubleshooting to most of the problems. When you power ON your system it give beep sound. Checkout some beep codes
1 short Beep indicates System is OK (Acceptance Beep)
Continue long Beep tells RAM Problem
1Long 3 Short Beep confirms RAM Problem
2/3/4 short Beep --its time to Check the RAM & Video Card
By now most of you have found some clue about the problems you are facing. Now learn about POST faults
1) K/B Error/ NO Keyboard present
· Check the loose cable connector
· Cable may be bad (Keyboard)
· K/B itself may be bad
· Check the physical condition of K/B connector on M/B
· If all these are ok & problem is still processed
· Than replace the keyboard port
2) Floppy disk drive Fail
· loose data & power connector of FDD
· Data cable may be bad (FDD)
· Load the CMOS defaults
· Floppy disk drive itself may be bad
3) CMOS Checksum error
· CMOS battery has gone bad replace it. (Weak)
· Check the CMOS jumper it may set on clear
· If the entire ok than check the CMOS battery jack, it may be bad
4) Invalid System Disk, Insert System Disk & Press enter when ready/ NTLDR is Missing
· Check the root directory; it may be formatted or missing bootable files.
· Repair the Windows or Reinstall the operating system.
5) Disk Boot failure, Insert System Disk & Press enter when ready
· Hard Disk check in POST Detected or not
· If not Detected Check the power cable
· Check the Master/Slave jumper setting.
· Also check BIOS setting
6) Computer gives message: Your computer has a serious problem
Back up your data & replace your Hard Disk
This error message is displayed due to the SMART option. This scans the HDD for errors, if it detect the errors than it show the above message. Follow the error message & back up your data on to another drive.
I tried to explain most of the problems along with their solutions. There could be a lot more solutions for the problems. Make your own search and try to fix BIOS problems at your own home.
Forward this to all those who need help!!
Posted by Sourav... on
Aug 02, 2017 | Compaq Computers & Internet
May 19, 2014 | Refrigerators
May 04, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Aug 21, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Oct 25, 2008 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook
397 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!