Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
"Are you protected?" Don't scare this line is not meant to generate panic among users; it's just a simple question with simply YES or NO. Most often we come across this question and mostly the same question is raised by many antivirus manufacturers. It could be their promotional banner, but what this question really means is whether you are safe? Many of you simply either don't care or don't have proper knowledge to find it out whether you are protected.
You must have heard "What you don't know can't hurt you" but when it comes to internet believe me it's quite opposite. Take interest in your own privacy and safety. You may purchase an antivirus or internet security software but remember protecting your privacy is 90% up to you; the rest can be handled by software. If someone thinks he/she do not have anything to lose then they are wrong. Let me tell to such guys what exactly they could lose.
1.It could be your bank account information.
2.Pictures related to your family, your workplace. I don't think I need to tell the danger here.
4.Your contacts, personal and official.
Prevention is better than cure
*Some basic tools and software which may help you to stopp Hackers and so called viruses from invading your property are:-
It blocks unauthorized request and provide security. I personally recommend you to use one of the following or both programs.
a). Black Ice Defender
b). Lockdown 2000
*Sometimes some tips and tricks are also beneficial.
1.Turn off File and Printer sharing feature in your windows.
To turn this off:-
* Click on START > Control Panel > Network Connections
* Select Local Area connection and Right click on it and select its properties.
* Unmark the File and Sharing on Microsoft Network.
2.Blinking of lights in modem and LAN icon at taskbar tell the amount of sending and receiving data. If in case they blinking rapidly even when you are doing nothing, it could be an attempt of invasion.
3. Use Netstat command to see who is connected to your system by which ports if you get suspicious. Click on Run > type cmd and enter > in cmd write netstat -a.
4. Logout properly after you finished checking your account on any site whether email or facebook.
5. Never click on unknown banners and advertisements.
6. Never run any unwanted or suspicious executable file or folders with suspicious extensions. Such as in case of pictures like pics.exe, folder like New folder.exe, text files with extension myfile.txt.vbs.
By no mean you should ever open a file if you do not know what type of file it is.
A word of caution
Internet is a tool which Hackers use to gain knowledge and it is not only meant for them. It provides same information to you. You can either, sit back and watch it go or jump in the bandwagon and ride it out.
Do not let "Hackers" turn all internet resource into a nightmare. Be careful when dealing with others online. Learn, learn and learn from internet and defeat the underworld.
Please vote if you find this helpful.
Posted by Sourav... on
First of all, don't panic.
Cleaning your cats eyes is quite simple.
I found you an informative video tutorial that will help you with this.
Aug 15, 2012 | Pets - Others
Apr 28, 2011 | 2005 Jaguar S-Type
Sep 03, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Dec 27, 2008 | Sony PCS-I520 Network Adapter
253 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!