This tip will help you learn how to convert new or used vegetable oil into high-grade biodiesel fuel that can run in a standard diesel engine. Anybody can make biodiesel. It's easy, you can make it in your kitchen -- and it's better fuel than the petro-diesel the oil companies sell you. Your diesel motor will run better and last longer on your home-made fuel, and it's much cleaner -- better for the environment and better for health.
Biodiesel has some clear advantages over straight vegetable oil, or SVO:
- It works in any diesel, without any conversion or modifications to the engine or the fuel system -- just put it in and go.
- It also has better cold-weather properties than SVO (but not as good as petro-diesel).
- Unlike SVO, it's backed by many long-term tests in many countries, including millions of miles on the road.
is a clean, safe, ready-to-use, alternative fuel, whereas it's fair to
say that many SVO systems are still experimental and need further
- Purchase a Biodiesel Processor, such as the Fuelmeister II Biodiesel Processor available here.
- Follow the included instructions and you will be on your way to creating your own Biodiesel fuel!
Biodiesel is made from vegetable and animal oils and fats, or triglycerides
cannot be made from any other kinds of oil (such as used engine oil).
Chemically, triglycerides consist of three long-chain fatty acid
molecules joined by a glycerine molecule. The biodiesel process uses a
catalyst (lye) to break off the glycerine molecule and combine each of
the three fatty-acid chains with a molecule of methanol, creating
mono-alkyl esters, or Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME) -- biodiesel. The
glycerine sinks to the bottom and is removed.
The process is called transesterification
- Processor Tank and Stand
- Pump Assembly
- Oil Drawtube Kit
- Oil Titration Field Test Kit
- Operator Safety Kit
- Biodiesel Output: 43:5 gallons (max) per batch
- Mix Rate: 330 gallons per hour
- Operator: 1 1/2 hour per batch (typical)
- Tank Material: Chemical grade polyethylene
- Tank Stands: Welded steel frame with levelers
- Plumbing Materials: Chemical grade steel valves
- Processor Capacity: 55 gallons (maximum)
- Processor Size: 54" high x 26" diameter
- Footprint: Set up in a 30" x 30" space
- Shipping Weight Processor: 98 lbs.
- Shipping Weight Pump Assembly: 27 lbs.
- Handles most used vegetable oils
- Makes 2-40 gallon batches in 24 hours
- Industrial-grade materials
- Easy draining cone-bottom tanks
- 90 minutes hands-on time after understanding the system
- Turbine pump blends and mixes
- Full-draining single tank system
- Special Modular Direct Catalyst Injection Lid (Patent Pending)
- Steel Methanol Pump
- Quick disconnect hose fittings throughout
- NEMA box with Solid-State control timer
- Steel valves No thru-tank ports
- Interchangeable Lid System
- Large diameter glycerol drain hose
- 30" x 30" footprint, very compact
- Platform allows for modular upgrades