Tip & How-To about Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 160GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
MAXTOR MANAGER & SAFETY DRILL SOFTWARE - Clarification
(Please also see tip 'PC RECOVERY & MAXTOR ONETOUCH 4 MINI SOFTWARE' for some more details about managing this invaluable, but problematic, software).
1.) The CD Included with OneTouch 4 Mini
- is only used as a boot disc for system restoration using 'Safety Drill' copies of a whole system
(see 5. and 6. below).
n.b. Maxtor Manager and drivers are not on this CD
2.) Maxtor Manager
- When the drive is new, the installation files for Maxtor Manager (a set of utilies), as well as a comprehensive User Manual, are pre-saved as files on the drive itself. This is why the manual strongly recommends copying and saving them on the PC for future use. This is just in case you need to format the drive and then cannot retrieve the files to reinstall the Manager program later.
3.) Using the OneTouch 4 Mini without extra software
PCs already have the necessary drivers to run external drives so OneTouch can be accessed though its icon in the 'My Computer' window without any other software being required, and files can be copied and 'dragged out' or 'dropped in' as usual.
4.) Installation of Maxtor Manager
- Installation just requires double clicking on the 'Launch' icon, which is among the file icons on the drive itself
This takes you through the installation steps to install 'Maxtor Manager' on the PC.
5.) 'Safety Drill' Copies
- These are copies of the whole system in its current state, which may be saved onto the OneTouch drive by using the 'Safety Drill' utility, which is only one of the programs in the set of utilities accessed through Maxtor Manager.
6.) Using 'Safety Drill'
- To use it to make a copy, first install Manager and run it, then click on the Safety Drill icon in the row of utility icons across the top of each page.
In the event of a disaster, full recovery to the date of the last or an earlier Safety Drill copy can be achieved.
This is done by putting the supplied CD in the PC's drive, ensuring that BIOS is set to 'boot from CD' (the default), connecting the drive, restarting the PC to boot from the CD (see 1. above), and following the on-screen instructions to restore from a Safety Drill copy which has been saved on the OneTouch drive.
7.) If Maxtor Manager becomes corrupt
- e.g if Manager ceases to recognise the drive, or if the list of safety drill copies contains duplicates, it is time to uninstall and then reinstall it, which usually puts things right. But see 2.) if you should wish to format the drive as well, make sure you have saved a copy of these installation files from the drive :-
8.) Diagnose or repair disk errors, & check warranty status
- Seatools is a free diagnostic, repair, and auto-warranty checker program which can be downloaded from Seagate.
9.) To preserve the Setup Files
Installation of Maxtor Manager is performed by clicking the file marked 'Launch' which can be found amongst the setup files on the OneTouch drive itself, see 2. above. They are not on the CD which is provided.
The files can more easily be identified at first by exploring the OneTouch drive, where they remain unless the drive is formatted. It is a good idea to copy the setup files to PC because no download is available.
Posted by Chris6 on
Jul 17, 2011 | Maxtor OneTouch USB (A01B120) 120 GB Hard...
Feb 21, 2011 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
Jan 02, 2011 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 160GB External USB...
Dec 20, 2010 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 160GB External USB...
1,786 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!