Tip & How-To about Brother MFC-9440CN Laser Printer
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
Having gratefully read
elsewhere about how to defeat the toner sensor window with black electrical tape, I went
Sadly, I was crushed to discover that performing this operation did not solve the problem for my accursed unit.
[Do it anyway as it will save you from these annoyingly premature warnings in future!]
Reading further, I became convinced that a reset process similar to that used to solve this problem for the Brother 2040 and 7420 models was also required here.
With nothing more to go on than responses to my emails from the good people (knuckleheads) at Brother telling me only how to install a new cartridge, I began poking around on my own 'till, after much swearing and gnashing of teeth, I figured it out:
1. With power on, open the toner access main door (You will get a "door open" message in the LCD.)
2. Hit the "Clear/Back" button and... ta-dah!!! you go right to the “Toner Reset Menu” (cue Vienna Boy's choir sounds here).
3. Using the up á Down â "Search" arrow buttons you can then scroll through reset options for each of the printer's  toner cartridges!
Code: B. = black; C. = cyan; M. = magenta and Y. = yellow
4. For each for these cartridges is the option to reset for low yield = S (small?) or High Yield - H
5. Using the number keypad, select option #1 (to reset each to the size you have installed.
6. Hit the "Clear/Back" button to get out of the menu, close door ad the problem is FINALLY solved.
Additional tip: you might want to try turning on the Toner Save Mode to stretch out your cartridge replacements.
Open Printers > go to the MFC 9440 icon >>> Printing Preferences...> Advanced Settings > Printer Functions > Toner Save Mode >> turn on.
Looks fine to me, though not suggested for grayscale or photo printing,.
Posted by Brett... on
Feb 15, 2017 | Maytag Washing Machines
Jun 17, 2009 | Brother HL 5140 Laser Printer
Oct 09, 2008 | Dell 3100cn Laser Printer
4,853 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!