Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
When you forget your Linksys router password, you will need to reset it back to the factory defaults. You can restore the router configuration to back to the factory by following the steps outlined below:
1. Hold in the reset button of the router for 30 seconds. 2. Unplug your power cord for 30 seconds 3. Plug back your power cord4. Wait for a few seconds then release the reset button.
NOTE:¨ When holding in the reset button, make sure that you do not release it until you are sure that it has been compressed for at least 30 seconds or more.
¨ This procedure resets the router back to all its factory default settings thus apart from affecting your username and password, it will also affect your configuration and IP addressing.
Once this is complete, you can now login and reconfigure your password. To do this:
1. Connect a PC to one of the Linksys router Ethernet ports
2. Open your web browser and go to the URL http://192.168.1.1. This will take you to a web page with a popup box which asks you to enter a username and password to login required to login to your router
3. On older LinkSys routers, the username is set to blank and the password is set to "admin" (without the quotes). On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin".
4. Click on login. You have logged in to the Administrator account and are now able to access and change a number of configuration options for your router.
5. Click on management tab then change your administrator password to any password that you like. Remember to choose a strong password that others cannot guess but that will be easy enough for you to remember.
6. You can also choose to reconfigure other aspects of you Linksys router at this point.
Posted by Computer... on
Jul 18, 2011 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G Router
Nov 25, 2010 | Linksys Computers & Internet
Dec 21, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Apr 16, 2009 | Linksys RV042 VPN Router
Apr 09, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G Router
804 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!