Tip & How-To about Garden
When starting a Chainsaw, Gas Powered blower, Weed eater or Lawn Mower; here are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Does it have a priming bulb? If so pump it 3 or 4 times before trying to start.
2. Do you have the choke pulled out or pushed down?
3. Is the Chain brake engaged?
4. Is it turned on.
5. Do you have it flooded? If so let it set for a 5-10 minutes and try again.
6. Do you have gas in it? Most saws recommend a 50:1 ratio. That equals a 2.6 oz of mixing oil to 1US Gallon of mid grade gasoline.
7. On bigger saws there is a decompression button located on the top, make sure it is pushed in.
8. While the choke is pushed down/pulled out, crank the engine until it "hits". On some saws, after it hits the choke will automatically go back in, but for the ones that don't manually push it in or up, then crank it again. It should fire.
9. On Poulan brand saws the choke is a little bit tricky on getting pulled out. It actually pulls out and up. You should fell it catch. When pulling it out and you think you have it out correctly, let off pressure from pulling it and see if it retracts back into the housing. If so, you didn't have it set right.
10. On mowers, do you have the blades engaged before trying to start? Mowers with a PTO button the engages and disengages the blades, pull up on the knob to disengaged.
Finally, I know someone may look at this and be saying to their selves, "do you think I don't already know this?" Well, you would be surprised at how many items get taken to the repair shop and the mechanic find out it was one of the simple steps above as to what caused the item not to start. Most mechanics will charge an hours labor fee just for a one minute fix. The labor fee can range from $10-$40/hour depending on the small engine shop.
Posted by Michael... on
Aug 18, 2014 | Weed Eater WE-ONE 26-Inch 190cc Briggs &...
Jul 10, 2011 | Poulan/Weed Eater No. Bvm200le 711482 24cc...
Jul 08, 2010 | Poulan 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered String...
May 03, 2010 | Poulan/Weed Eater #Wt200 711724 24cc Gas...