Tip & How-To about Cell Phones

What to do when you phone drops into water or any liquid.

When your phone drops into water or any kind of liquid, the phone has to be fully dried for it to work well again.

Immediately your phone drops into any liquid, first thing to do is to remove the battery and clean it very well. After that, get a phone screw driver, unscrew all the phone screws, remove the phone cover in order to gain access to the phone panel. Gently remove/detach the screen from the phone board.

Get a methylated spirit and a soft tooth brush, dip the tooth brush into the spirit and use the brush to clean/wash the phone board. Brush every part of the board with the spirit.

After that, dry the phone board/panel under an electric bulb or under sunlight. Allow it to dry very well. Let the board get hot. Then leave the board for 5mins or more to cool.

After that, couple back the phone, fix in the battery and try again. Phone should power on and function well again.

Good luck.

Posted by on

Cell Phones Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

1 Answer

my n900 nokia drop into water


Wet Cell Phone
Immediately remove the phone from the water, turn off the cell phone, remove the battery and SIM card. To dry out the cell phone put it in a large plastic bag with silica gel drying crystals then put it in a warm sunny place for several days or in front of a warm fan heater for several hours. Reassemble the phone and hope it will work properly again, but if does not work then it is faulty and you need a new cell phone.

Dec 12, 2012 | Nokia N900 Smartphone

1 Answer

SonyEricsson T707 was dropped into water. On recovery (2mins ) later stripped outer covers off and removed battery and sim card. Used hairdryer on unit for about 20mins. Can you suggest anything else I can do before re-assembling the unit and switching it back on?


The next thing to do if you drop your cell phone in water is to remove the battery immediately without even hesitating to turn off the power. This reduces the risk of a short circuit which would render your phone useless. Dry the batter with a towel and set aside to dry thoroughly. The battery itself may or may not work again, but fortunately batteries can be replaced fairly inexpensively. Even if the battery does work, it is a good idea to get a new one so as not to risk it leaking battery acid in the future.
After you have removed the battery, dry off the cell phone with an absorbent towel as best as you can. Use cotton swabs to soak up water in crevices and on any fragile, exposed circuits. If you have dropped your cell phone in water, it is also helpful to disassemble it if you can and let all the parts dry separately. Just be sure that you know how to put it back together. If it is a flip or sliding cell phone, leave it open for maximum evaporation.
If you drop your cell phone in water that isn’t pure such as a beverage or in salt water, rinse the phone off with fresh water once you have removed the battery. Once you drop the phone in water, the additional rinsing will not do further damage, however, minerals or other materials will.
If you drop your cell phone in liquid that isn’t pure water, you may want to try giving it an alcohol bath. The alcohol will displace minerals and microscopic substances as well as aiding in the evaporation of the fluid. If it is available, you should use an alcohol concentration of 95% rather than rubbing alcohol that usually contains only 70%.
Once your phone is clean, leave it in a warm dry area or near an air conditioner for three days before you attempt to replace the battery and turn it on. This is very important, because although you may think that you have thoroughly dried it, the slightest moisture can react with the battery and cause it to short circuit. If drop your cell phone in water, and want to save it, resist the temptation of turning it on to see if it is working until you have waited at least 72 hours. Unless you have insurance for your cell phone which covers water damage, there is no point in sending it to the manufacture with the hope that they will replace it under warranty. If you drop your cell phone in water, the technicians will be able to tell immediately due to moisture sensitive stickers that are contained inside almost all cell phones. The best thing to do is to try the tips mentioned above and repair it yourself.

Jan 03, 2010 | Sony Ericsson T707 Cell Phone

1 Answer

my son Dumped some kind of liquid on my LG Rumor and now it is white screened.


Hello,

Please take note; once a phone drops into water or any liquid, first thing you need do is to remove the battery, get a phone screw driver, loose the phone and dry the phone board with bulb or any heat.

The essence is to dry the water totally from the board, because if it dries itself, the phone board will get rust and phone might not work properly again.

Back to your phone, I think the liquid as entered your screen and its not dry yet, that's why its white.

Put off the phone, remove the battery and leave the liquid to dry on the screen or put is near a very light heat and the liquid will gradually dry off.

Try it, it will work.

Take care.

Dec 30, 2009 | LG RUMOR Cellular Phone

2 Answers

water damaged n95 8gb wont turn on


I worked in a cellfone store for a major carrier as technical support representative. We used to see liquid damaged phones come in all the time. It was a gamble as to whether or not we could get the phonbooks off these phones. Having them work was virtually impossible. When a phone is exposed to moisture or liquid, the circuits on the mother board are shorted by the liquid altering the flow of electricity over the conductors on the board. Bottom line is this phone will probably never work. Even if it had dried fully it might have worked but may not have performed as it did when not damaged. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as a former technical support rep this is my opinion.

Apr 26, 2009 | Nokia Cell Phones

1 Answer

Display screen is backwards


Sounds like the LCD is missing a signal getting to it. One of the signal lines is either damaged, possibly still has a small amount of liquid on it and is getting a bunch of resistance it shouldn't be.

Open the phone up, and let it sit and dry fully for a few days.

You could always try dropping it back into the rye & coke, it seemed to prefer that to water =0)

Apr 19, 2008 | Samsung SCH-a870 Cellular Phone

Not finding what you are looking for?

166 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cell Phones Experts

Computer Repairing
Computer Repairing

Level 3 Expert

14641 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75117 Answers

William Alequin

Level 3 Expert

922 Answers

Are you a Cell Phone Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Loading...