Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
How to run Check Disk in Windows 7
Below is the steps on how to run Check Disk in Windows 7. From time to time if you are computer is not running properly this is important to run on your computer. The reason it time to time you will get corrupt files and/or files that left over from old installs that are slowing down the computer. This command will repair the files it can and remove the old unneeded files.
1. Open My Computer
2. Next right click and select Properties on the drive that you need to run Disk Cleanup.
3. Next click on the Check Now.
4. Next make sure that both options are check and click on the Start button.
5. Next click on Schedule disk check. The reason for this is if part is that if the sector is being accessed the sector can not be recovered. So this is ran before Windows fully loads.
6. Next click Start then click on the arrow next to the Shut Down button to get the Restart option to restart your computer. Note before you restart your computer you will want to make sure you have closed all your running programs.
At this point your computer will restart and run the Check Disk. Note this can run for over a hour depending how large the hard drive is.
After Check Disk is done running your computer will boot into Windows ready for you to use.
Next it is recommended that you run defrag on your hard drive this will take care of any fragmented files and put them back together. This as well will make your computer run a bit faster. This link will show you how to defrag your hard drive.
How to defrag your hard drive in Windows 7
Posted by Will... on
Jan 14, 2013 | Computers & Internet
May 16, 2011 | Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Notebook
May 09, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Jul 15, 2010 | Dell Computers & Internet
554 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!