Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
· Shift + F10 right-clicks.
· Win + L (XP Only): Locks keyboard.
Similar to LockWorkstation.
· Win + F or F3: Open Find dialog. (All Files) F3 may notwork in some applications which use F3 for their own find dialogs.
· Win + Control + F: Open Find dialog. (Computers)
· Win + U: Open Utility Manager.
· Win + F1: Open Windows help.
· Win + Pause: Open System Properties dialog.
· Win + Tab: Cycle through taskbar buttons.
Enter clicks,AppsKey or Shift + F10 right-clicks.
· Win + Shift + Tab: Cycle through taskbar buttons inreverse.
· Alt + Tab: Display CoolSwitch. More commonly known as theAltTab dialog.
· Alt + Shift + Tab: Display CoolSwitch; go in reverse.
· Alt + Escape: Send active window to the bottom of thez-order.
· Alt + Shift + Escape: Activate the window at the bottomof the z-order.
· Alt + F4: Close active window; or, if all windows areclosed, open shutdown dialog.
· Shift while a CD is loading: Bypass AutoPlay.
· Shift while login: Bypass startup folder. Only thoseapplications will be ignored which are in the startup folder, not those startedfrom the registry (MicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun)
· Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Ctrl + Alt + NumpadDel (BothNumLock states): Invoke the Task Manager or NT Security dialog.
· Ctrl + Shift + Escape (2000/XP ) or (Ctrl + Alt +NumpadDot) : Invoke the task manager. On earlier OSes, acts like Ctrl + Escape.
· Printscreen: Copy screenshot of current screen toclipboard.
· Alt + Printscreen: Copy screenshot of current activewindow to clipboard.
· Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow: Invert screen. Untested on OSesother than XP. · Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow: Undo inversion.
· Win + B : Move focus to systray icons.
· Ctrl + C or Ctrl + Insert: Copy.
· Ctrl + X or Shift + Delete: Cut.
· Ctrl + V or Shift + Insert: Paste/Move.
· Ctrl + N: New... File, Tab, Entry, etc.
· Ctrl + S: Save.
· Ctrl + O: Open...
· Ctrl + P: Print.
· Ctrl + Z: Undo.
· Ctrl + A: Select all.
· Ctrl + F: Find...
· Ctrl+W : to close the current window
· Ctrl + F4: Close tab or child window.
· F1: Open help.
· F11: Toggle full screen mode.
· Alt or F10: Activate menu bar.
· Alt + Space: Display system menu. Same as clicking theicon on the titlebar. · Escape: Remove focus from current control/menu, or closedialog box.
3.) Generic Navigation
· Tab: Forward one item.
· Shift + Tab: Backward one item.
· Ctrl + Tab: Cycle through tabs/child windows.
· Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Cycle backwards through tabs/childwindows.
· Enter: If a button's selected, click it, otherwise, clickdefault button.
· Space: Toggle items such as radio buttons or checkboxes.
· Alt + (Letter): Activate item corresponding to (Letter).(Letter) is the underlined letter on the item's name.
· Ctrl + Left: Move cursor to the beginning of previousword.
· Ctrl + Right: Move cursor to the beginning of next word.
· Ctrl + Up: Move cursor to beginning of previousparagraph. This and all subsequent Up/Down hotkeys in this section have onlybeen known to work in RichEdit controls.
· Ctrl + Down: Move cursor to beginning of next paragraph.
· Shift + Left: Highlight one character to the left.
· Shift + Right: Highlight one character to the right.
· Shift + Up: Highlight from current cursor position, toone line up.
· Shift + Down: Highlight from current cursor position, toone line down.
· Ctrl + Shift + Left: Highlight to beginning of previousword.
· Ctrl + Shift + Right: Highlight to beginning of nextword.
· Ctrl + Shift + Up: Highlight to beginning of previousparagraph.
· Ctrl + Shift + Down: Highlight to beginning of nextparagraph.
· Home: Move cursor to top of a scrollable control.
· End: Move cursor to bottom of a scrollable control.
Posted by Sandeep... on
Oct 19, 2008 | Computers & Internet
210 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!