Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
How to setup WEP on a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speed Booster (WRT54GS2)
Note when configuring your wireless router it is recommended that you connect directly to the router via a network cable to avoid connection problems while configuring.
1. Log into the router. To do this you will need to open your web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1
Note If you change the default IP address then you will need that address to log into the router. Normally it is the Gateway IP. You can check this by opening CMD via the Run command window. Once it is open then type ipconfig and hit enter.
2. Click on the Wireless Tab
3. Now you should be on the Basic Wireless Setting tab. Here you do not need to change anything. However if you would like to change the name the wireless network will show up as you will do is in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) section.
4. Next click on the Wireless Security tab. Once here you will click on the Security Mode drop down and select WEP.
5. After you select WEP the page should look like the below picture. Here you can enter a Passphrase and click on the Generate button to create your Hexadecimal Key. Note some version of the firmware will let you enter a passphrase in into the key field so you do not have to use a hexadecimal key.
6. After you have the key information set click on Save Settings.
Note if you are connected wirelessly at this time you will get disconnected and you will have to reconnect with your WEP key.
Posted by Will... on
Sep 11, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 29, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jun 26, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Aug 12, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Jun 19, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
763 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!