Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Just having the Software on O.S. is not enough, you have to do regular maintenance in order to avoid most of the windows xp errors or Software problems and increase the performance.
(Note: Keep all the programs closed before doing the following operations)
1. Regularly scan your system for viruses using Antivirus
2. Regularly clear all the quarantined files (delete it) (Note: most antivirus creates a directory in C:quarantine empty it.
3. In Windows Explorer, Right click on C: Drive and select "Properties" on the context menu, In the General Tab click on the "Disk Cleanup" Button, in the Disk Cleanup Tab select all the options (no need to worry these are all unwanted files) and press ok.
4. In Windows Explorer, Right click on C: Drive and select "Properties" on the context menu, In the Tools Tab click on the "Defragment Now" Button
select C: Drive by clicking on it and press "Defragment" button (Note: It will take atleast 15Mins to 30Mins depending on the OS Usage. If you are doing on a regular basis then hardly it may take less than 5 Minutes. At the time of defragmentation all programs or scanning should be closes else it does not happen. In between if you like to open programs then just Pause or stop the defrag and run later)
5. Using Add/Remove programs if you have installed any unwanted programs, please uninstall it.
6. Do not have more than one Antivirus program, More than one Firewalls.
7. If any scanner or monitoring softwares of Printer are not used for a long time, then better you uninstall it.
8. In the Start Menu, Click on Run command, type "msconfig" and press ok, select startup button and deselect the unnecessary programs on the list and press Apply button and Press Ok. Restart the system.
8. Store your data files on D: or E: drives or other than the OS installed drive.
9. Do the steps 1 to 4 regularly
10. Once in a year or two if the OS is still slow, reinstall the OS after taking necessary backup and system information on to another drive or partition.(Note: while installing on C:drive or any particular drive do complete format and not quick format.
Posted by Shiva... on
Jul 30, 2011 | Singer CE-200 Quantum Futura Computerized...
Apr 07, 2009 | ScanSoft PaperPort Deluxe 9...
141 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!