Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
FIXING A SLOW COMPUTER
A slow computer could be caused by a number of things –
1. Insufficient RAM memory – if your computer has less than 512Mb of RAM then increase it to at least 1Gb of RAM.
2. Registry problems – clean and repair the registry, it will contain unused registry keys. Use a programs such as Registry Mechanic, Microsoft RegClean etc.
3. Uninstall/remove unused programs, this will also free up hard disk space.
4. Not enough hard disk space – swap file space may need to be increased if Windows hasn’t been configured to manage it.
5. Install latest Windows updates.
6. Update virus definition files and scan computer for viruses, Trojans, malware etc.
7. Clear the Internet cache for faster browsing.
8. Hard disk maintenance is required at least once a month to keep it functioning efficiently.
Run the following programs -
Disk Cleanup - removes temporary files that are no longer used and
to recovers hard disk space.
Disk Defragmenter to make fragmented files into contiguous files and therefore the hard disk access is faster.
For instruction on hard disk maintenance, please click on this link :-
Posted by Chris... on
May 12, 2013 | ASUS Computers & Internet
Mar 30, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Feb 14, 2013 | HP Computers & Internet
Oct 05, 2012 | Dell Vostro 1310 Laptop Computer (Intel...
Jul 18, 2012 | Samsung N Computers & Internet
2,140 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!