To update your garmin satnav map you must have your satnav registered. If it's already registered skip to paragraph 2 below.
1. To Register your Garmin Satnav
Note you will be asked to create a username and password. Write them down and keep them safe as you'll need them again anytime you want to update your maps
- Connecty our satnav to your computer and go to www.garmin.com
- Select your country
- Click on Register your garmin product
- Follow the prompts
2. To update your maps
Note map files are large so you'll need a broadband connection to download them. If you don't have broadband you'll have an option to buy the update on DVD.
- Connect your satnav to your computer and go to www.garmin.com
- Click on myGarmin and log in
- Click on myMaps.
- If there's an update available it will be shown beside the name of your map.
- Click on Get Update and follow the prompts.
- If The Map Is Too Large To Install To Your Satnav
When you go to download the map by default it tries to download it to the satnav i.e. not the SD/Mini SD card. You need to change this. When the website recognises the satnav follow the prompts. It will give you 3 options for the download destination.
As the website is updated, from time to time, the method of selecting the download destination changes. Sometimes it shows up as a drop box with a drop-down arrow showing your satnav name. Click the drop-down arrow and select the option to download the map to your computer. Sometimes it shows the 3 options as text headings with tick boxes beside them and you get to tick the option you want. Whichever way it shows up select the option to download the map to your computer. This will install it on your computer's hard drive.
- Download to Computer and Satnav or
- After it's downloaded the map should begin to install automatically. (If not double click on it and it will). It should be allowed to install to your satnav first as Garmin will not allow it to install to your SD/Mini SD card unless it's first partly installed to the satnav. This is so they can ensure that it's installed to the correct satnav.
- To Install The Full Map To Your SD/Mini SD Card
To install the map to your SD/Mini SD card, insert the card into the card slot of your satnav and connect it to the computer. Click the windows start button on your computer. Then click the GARMIN progam and then MAPINSTALL. This runs the map installation program. When the install program finds your satnav and you get the option to install the map there again by default. Click on the drop-down arrow, where it shows your satnav as the destination, and select the drive letter of the SD/Mini SD card. This will be different to the drive letter for your satnav. The map will then be installed to your SD/Mini SD card.
- Problems With Older Nuvi Satnavs Reading Maps On 4 Gb Or Higher SD Cards
When you install a map to an SD card older nuvi satnavs can have difficulty getting the satnav to read it. It will install to it without problem but when you try to operate the satnav then it cannot load the map and will close down the satnav unless you remove the SD card. The reason for this is that 4 Gb and higher cards are SDHC which operate differently from SD. To solve this problem you should use a class 2 SDHC card, which is the slowest type available. You can identify the class by the small figure on the card. It will be either 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10. Before you install the map format the card as described below. Also use webinstaller to check that you have the latest version of operating software on your satnav.
- Format the SD card with "Panasonic SD Formatter" available from http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter20.html rather than the standard windows format function. Select the fast format option and be sure you have selected the drive letter of your SDHC card as it will format your hard drive or indeed your satnav just as easily if you select one of them by mistake.
- To update your software or check that you have the latest version, you can download webupdater from http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27
Connect your satnav to the computer and run the program. It will search for any updates to your software.
Class 2 SDHC cards are harder to find in shops today as they are being replaced by the faster classes. They are however still easily available on ebay if you can't find one in the shops.