This is a common problem to Windows. Occurs when the System was unstable while shutting down or a Hard Disk Failure (most probably after a Power Failure).
Here is what you have to do. Please follow the steps carefully.
What resources you need:
- Windows XP Bootable CD with Recovery Console.
- Basic knowledge of Dos Commands.
- Restart your computer and go into BIOS. Use the key which will be shown during the booting process (Default keys are Del, F2, F1, Esc and F11)
- Set the Boot Order to boot from CD/DVD.
- Insert the Windows CD.
- Boot the machine.
- Press any key when you are prompted: " Press any key to Boot from CD"
- Let the components load. After loading you will be asked whether you want to Install or Repair.
- Press R to start the Recovery Console.
- Let the components load.
- You will be asked which Windows Installation you want to access. If you have only one Press 1. If you have more than one, use the number their. It will be shown.
- Enter the Administrator Password to continue (If you have prompted). If you have a blank password, just press Enter.
- Now you will be in C:\Windows\>
- Now you have to find the Drive Letter for your CD Rom which has the Windows CD in it.
- If you cannot remember:
- You have to check one by one to locate the I386 folder. Its in the Root of the Windows CD. Type this command and hit enter.
- Example: D:
- Hit enter. Now you are in D:\>
- Type this command and hit enter.
- Now you will see each and every directory (and file), Do this for each until you locate the Windows CD. It has a folder named I386.
- When yo are their, remember the Drive Letter.
- Go back to C:. Type this command and hit enter.
- Type this and hit enter again. Note the space between cd and \.
- cd \
- Now your are in C:\>
- Type this and hit enter.
- cd Windows
- Type this again and hit enter.
- cd System32
- Now you are in System32.
- Note: If you were restricted to access Windows folder you have to reboot and come back to the Recovery console again.
- Now type this command and hit enter. I am assuming your Drive Letter (CD\DVD ROM) as E:.
- copy E:\I386\ntoskrnl.exe
- Now you will be shown "One file copied". If so you have successfully completed the Recovery Procedure.
- Type Exit an hit enter.
- Now your machine will be booted properly.
Hope you enjoy the tip.
Thanks for using Fixya!