Did you know the Xbox controller has a USB interface built-in? How would you feel about playing your favorite PC games, with an Xbox controller?
Here is what you will need to get the job done:
- Xbox Game Controller
- Male USB Connector
- Wire Strippers
- Electrical Tape
1. Using a Male-Female USB extension cable, cut off the male USB adapter, along with a foot or more of cable.
2. You will need to cut off the connector on the Xbox cable, too.
3. Cut the Xbox connector off right at the base, leaving you some room to splice on the USB Male connector.
4. Now strip off about an inch of casing from the end of each exposed cable that we’ll be connecting. There will be a lot of thin silver wires and foil wrapped around a few smaller, colored wires. The silver casing is the shielding, just trim it back enough to expose the colored wires.
5. Using your wire strippers, pull away the casing on each of the colored wires to expose the bare wire.
6. Splice together each wire of the USB adapter to its matching colored wire on the Xbox controller. The Xbox controller has an additional yellow wire, which you can ignore. Use electrical tape to cover up the bare leads, or heat shrink tubing.
7. You should now be able to set up the device and start using it. The first thing to do is to download the XBCD drivers (download here
), and run the installer file.
8. Once the drivers are installed, plug in the controller and it should detect and install the drivers for “XBCD XBox Gamepad”. Now go to Programs -> XBCD -> Setup Utility and set up your new gamepad!