Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Sounds From Computer Speakers
My wife had an interesting issue over the weekend. Anything she played on her computer came through the speakers sounding like chipmunks. You've heard the Alvin and the Chipmunks albums, that's what it sounded like. It didnt matter if it was a Windows sound (wav file), and MP3, a WMV, or any other multimedia. Everything sounded like a chipmunk was playing it. The sounds were played too fast and too high pitched.
Her computer is an Acer with a Realtek sound card built into the motherboard. It has the Realtek HD Audio Manager built into it and I thought at first that something had changed with the audio settings. However, after examining the audio utility and choosing to reset the environment back to its defaults the chipmunk sound was still present.
he Realtek Manager also has an option for Karaoke Mode, which basically removes the voice track when playing a song. Changing this feature had no effect on the system.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Sound Card
The only way I found to truly fix the issue was to uninstall and reinstall the Sound Card. Follow the directions below to accomplish this.
1) Open Device Manager by Right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties. Then click on Device Manager
2) Under the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section, Right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio and then click on Uninstall.
3) Close the Device Manager and Reboot your computer
4) After the computer reboots, allow it to automatically find the Realtek audio device on its own and reinstall the drivers. You may be required to reboot the computer a second time after the drivers for the sound card load.
5) Test the sound card by playing an MP3, WAV, WMA, or other sound or by watching a video online.
The problem should be fixed. If for some reason, you are still experiencing a chipmunk-like sound coming from your speakers, visit the sound card manufacturers website and download and install new drivers for the sound card.
Posted by Ryan Murro on
Dec 28, 2012 | eMachines Computers & Internet
Jul 06, 2009 | Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System...
May 05, 2009 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
Feb 23, 2009 | Audio Players & Recorders
202 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!