Tip & How-To about Cameras
Error 99 is a generic failiure that can be related to different parts of the camera. Memmory card, Shutter, Flash, Lens even humidity and temperature could be the reason. Dust and fingerprint on the contacts of the Lens, Memory card and the battery could caus the error too, so the first thing to do is wipe the contacts clean and try the camera, if that doesen't help then follow the procedure below;
To find the cause, in a place with normal/average humidity and temperature:
1. Turn off the camera!
2. Take out the battery.
3. Take out the memory card.
4. Remove the lens ( don't forget to cap the body and the lens ends! )
5. Put the camera in No Flash mode.
Now with a fully charged battery inserted, try to release the shutter(take a shot). If it is still showing the "err 99" message then the problem lays in the Body (Sutter(*), Mirror, Image Sensor, etc)(**). But if it works then:
1. wipe the contacts on the memory card and put it back in and try again if the error 99 occurs, then you have a faulty memory card or the contacts inside the memory slot are bent/crooked, look closer to make sure. if they look ok and the camera works then,
"With the memory card inserted";
2. Wipe the contacts on the lens and the camera, put the lens in manual focus mode then attatch the lens. Put the camera in Aperture priority(Av) mode. Set the aperture to the widest( the least number) and try. if it works then turn the aperture to the highest number and try again. if the error comes up, then your lens' aperture servo could be faulty (**). If you dont get the "err 99" then turn on the AF of the lens and try, if the error happens then the focus motor is the cause(**). To be sure you can test the camera with another lens. If the camera does work normally, then,
"With the lens on!";
3. In a dark place put the camera in "Auto" mode and try to release the shutter(shoot) if the flash does not pop up and it does not respond to you trying to pop up the flash manually, then your flash release mechanism is the problom(**).
These are some of the most occurring causes, there might be others. A photo store sales man told me it will cost me over $ 200 to repair my camera. My problem was the aperture servo of the lens. I hope this procedure helps you to find the problem and maybe put the money on something more necessary!
(*)Sometimes the shutter parts fall out of order. You could lift the mirror and have a look at it, if they are not parallel and even, then you may be able to push them back in order but I dont recommend it because they are very delicate and you can make them worse or even damage the image sensor behind it! So let a pro do the job!!
(**)You should let some one with expertise have a look at it but if you don't think it is worth it and you are a kind of handy man, so, have fun yourself!
Posted by Bru Sha on
Nov 02, 2013 | Canon EOS 40D Digital Camera
Apr 18, 2011 | Canon EOS 30D Digital Camera with 18-55mm...
Apr 04, 2011 | Canon Rebel XTi / EOS 400D (body only)...
Feb 06, 2011 | Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi Digital Camera...
Jan 30, 2011 | Canon EOS 40D Digital Camera