When you answer a question on FixYa it is removed from the Unsolved Queue, meaning that asker is much less likely to receive a second opinion. Therefore, it is important that Experts provide the best solution possible whenever they take on the responsibility of providing assistance.
Below are three sample solutions of varying quality, to help demonstrate what FixYa considers to be a great solution. These are just examples, and do not necessarily represent the actual product instructions.
Question: I think my computer has a virus. What do I do?
Low Quality Solution: run antivirus
*While this solution could technically be considered an answer, it is very brief and doesn\'t provide anything more than the most basic recommendation. The lack of capitalization also conveys a lack of professionalism and effort.
So-So Quality Solution: Go to '...' and download antivirus. Run it, then clean up any bad files.
*This solution is better, and correctly written. However, the url is not hyperlinked and only directs to antivirus\'s main site, leaving the asker with the work of locating the actual recommended product. It also lacks detail.
Good Quality Solution: You may have noticed that your system is getting sluggish or that you\'re experiencing more errors. If so, it\'s possible that you do have some sort of virus or malware on your computer. There are several options, both free and paid, to help you resolve this and protect your system from future attacks. While the paid options have more bells and whistles, the free systems are adequate for most users.One of the top free options is ..., which you can download here- ....
- Download the AntiVirus Free Version.
- Double click the exe file to run it.
- Select "Automatic Installation" (unless you are an experienced user and wish to do a "Manual Installation").
- Follow the instructions given to you.
- When installation has completed, the program will open and you can start a scan of your system. Follow the instructions given to remove any flagged files.
I hope this information will be helpful. Thank you for using FixYa!*This solution is very good. It gives the asker some clues to look for, a summary of their options, a product recommendation hyperlinked directly do the download page, numbered instructions on how to install and use the product, formatting to help draw the asker\'s attention to key information, and a friendly thanks for using FixYa.
Whether or not you plan to apply as a Premium Expert, you should still make sure to put your best foot forward when providing assistance. Here is a list of some of the top things Experts should/shouldn\'t do when responding to questions:
- DO provide a complete solution.
- DO NOT simply give a diagnosis but omit instructions on how to resolve it.
- DO use correct English, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. Make sure to use spell check before posting.
- DO NOT use slang, shortened words, or overly technical language (unless you explain what you mean or you know the asker understands this terminology).
- DO link to resources on other sites, when applicable.
- DO NOT post a link as the sole content of your solution (unless it is a product, manual, or driver request), link to competing support sites, or post any links that would be considered spam.
- DO use formatting (bold, underline, italics, numbers, bullets, and line breaks) to make your solutions easier to read.
- DO enhance your solutions by adding images (click the toolbar icon that looks like a two blue and pink circles) and YouTube videos (click the YouTube toolbar icon).
- DO NOT respond to any questions with jokes or non-solutions.
- DO NOT post Clarification Requests as solutions. Make sure to label them as Clarification Requests.
- DO NOT simply refer the asker to a repair person or to the manufacturer of their product.
- DO NOT copy/paste solutions from other Experts, sites, or sources.
- DO NOT post your email address, phone number, business url, or any other contact information on FixYa (expect for in our Repair Directory or where requested by the site).
- DO NOT complain to askers about bad ratings.
- DO NOT EVER be rude to an asker. Doing so damages FixYa\'s credibility and your own, and gives a negative impression of our site and community.
- DO feel good about yourself. Taking the time to help people is a good thing. Going the extra mile is GREAT. We really appreciate your talents, and thank you for sharing them on FixYa!
We hope this information has been helpful to you. If you have any specific questions about how to respond to questions on FixYa, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org