Tip & How-To about Video Game Consoles & Games
How to fix PlayStation 3 corrupted hard drive
If your PS3 will not fully load and you are getting a message that the hard drive is corrupted. Go through the options in recovery mode. The link below will help cover those options.
If you have gone through the recovery mode options then you may just need to do a full format of the hard drive or there is something wrong with the drive.
Note with a normal hard drive from time to time a sector will fail on a drive. Normally Windows will fix the this with on of the backup sectors on the drive but in the case of your console systems this may not repair the drive.
1. Next what you will need to do is remove your hard drive from your PS3. To do this you will need a small flat head screw driver to pop the hard drive cover off. You will see a tap on the right side to put the screw driver in.
2. Next you will want to remove the lock screw that holds the drive in place. Normally it is green.
3. Next lift up the lever and pull the drive back to the right into the open space. This will disengage the drive from the PS3.
If you are needing the steps to remove the hard drive from the PS3 Slim go to this link. How to remove the hard drive on a Playstation 3 Slim.
Note after you get the hard drive removed from the PS3 you do not have to remove the drive from the caddy that the drive is in.
4. Now you will need to connect the drive to your computers SATA hard drive port and powersupply. Note if your computer does not have a SATA connector and/or you have a manufactured computer like a Dell or HP you may not be able to connect your hard drive directly to the computer. They make USB external kits that will let you connect the drive externally via USB.
5. Next you will want to boot your and open My Computer. After my computer is open you will want right click and select format for the drive that is from the PS3. The format options should open up. You need to make sure that the "Quick Format" option is not check. Note be sure that before you click Start on the format that you are selecting the drive for the PS3.
Note if the Full Format hangs then this is a sign that there is actually a problem with the hard drive its self.
Also note if you have the drive connected to the internal connectors it will show up like a standard drive but if you have it connected externally it will show as a removable drive. If you do not see a extra drive letter you may need to assign one to the drive the links below will help you set a drive letter.
How to change your drive letter in Windows Vista and Windows 7
How to change your drive letter in Windows XP
6. After you format the drive you will want to put it back into the PS3. When you put it back in you will be prompted to format the PS3. The PS3 format will setup the drive for use with the PS3.
Note you may need to reload the firmware on the PS3. If you need to do this you can get the firmware and instructions to install it from this link.
At this point you should be able to use your PS3 as normal. If you still have trouble then you most likely have a problem with the hard drive its self.
Posted by Will... on
May 17, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 24, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 30, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 01, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Apr 13, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
23,545 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!