Wireless Part Configuration:
Step 1: Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
- Connect the Computer to the Router in one of the 4 ports named wired (usually grey in color) using an Ethernet cable.
- Open internet explorer / Firefox / chrome or any of your default web browser.
- In the address bar type the default gateway address of Belkin router 192.168.2.1
- Belkin router setup page (RSP) will be displayed.
In the Belkin router Setup page, on your left hand side, you may have Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) below WIRELESS. If you have WPS then click on it. If it prompts you for a login password, leave it blank and Click on Submit.WPS will be Enabled by default. Change it to Disabled and Click on Apply Changes. It may or may not take some time to save the Information and brings you back to the same page.
Step 2: Security
Select Security found on left side of router setup page.Security mode will have the following options,
Usage of above security modes for various devices:
- WPA / WPA2 (PSK)
- 64-bit WEP
- 128-bit WEP
- WPA / WPA2 (PSK) ------for vista & windows7 computers
- 64-bit WEP -------for windows XP, MAC, XBOX, Play Stations, Ipods, Ipads (recommended)
- 128-bit WEP ------same as 64bitwep, but not recommended
- Disabled------to disable the wireless security
If you think there is no need for security for your Wireless network or if you are willing to make it as a hot-spot then you can select the option as Disabled and Click on Apply Changes.
If you are selecting the Security type as WPA/WPA2 then you will be able to see the pre-shared key (PSK) or passphrase (PSK), in this box you need to type at-least 8 characters as the network password.After typing the password you can verify the password by un-checking obscure PSK. Password is case sensitive. Once you are done check obscure PSK and Click on Apply Changes.
If you are selecting the Security type as 64bitWEP then you will be able to see the Key 1 with 5 empty boxes. You need to type 2 numbers in each boxes of Key 1. You can also use letters A-F along with numbers 0-9 to make your password more secure. Password is case sensitive. After filling those details click on Apply Changes directly. You must not type anything in Passphrase and click on generate. If you do so, it will generate a password automatically.The 10digit value which you entered in key 1 is the password for your wireless network.You need to enter the same password without any spaces in between in your computer to get connected to your wireless network.
If you are selecting 128bit WEP, then you need to follow the same instructions as above but you need to enter 26characters in 13 empty boxes.
Step 3: Channel and SSID:
- Once you are done with that, select Channel and SSID found on the left side of RSP.
- Change the Wireless Channel to 1 or 6 or 11 (these are the best non- overlapping channels for wireless networks).
- Change the SSID to any name as you wish, this will be your wireless network name (I recommend you to use a single word of any length. It can have letters, numbers or combination of both).
- Check whether the option Broadcast SSID is checked / enabled (it must be enabled).
- Once you are done click on Apply Changes.
Now the Router is configured for wireless devices.
Connecting your wireless computer to the wireless network:
Make sure the wireless switch is turn on in the laptop, now look for the available wireless Networks in range, select your network name, enter the security key and get connected.