Tip & How-To about Plumbing

Removing old faucets under sink.

I had to change out a faucet under the sink, it was a marble top and couldn't be moved, so I had to get up under there with one of those wrenches that are supposed to grab the nuts and spin them off?? Well, That didn't work, and I couldn't turn it with my hands. and I couldn't get in there with anything. So, I got a piece of 1 inch pvc pipe, schedule 80, with the band saw, cut a slot in on side for the supply line and cut a smaller slot in the other side for the wing on the nut, it went up and turned the nuts off the supply line and the nuts off the bottom of the faucet no problem, worked great. I even put the thing in the tool box for future use.

Posted by on

Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

2 Answers

Kitchen faucet

You will need a basen wrench ( a special wrench to tighten nuts that secure faucet to sink) and open end wrenches. First shut off both hot and cold water valves. Using open end wrench, disconnect hoses from valves. Now, you must loosen both nuts (under the sink towards back wall) Using the basen wrench. After removing nuts, lift faucet up

Jan 09, 2014 | Plumbing

1 Answer

loose faucet

Tighten Faucet from under the sink.

Nov 14, 2013 | RTO Classic, Circular, Blonde, Solid...

1 Answer

i did not get the instructions for the pop up installation. do i put plumbers putty around the seal between the sink and the pop up?

however plumbers putty is not recomended on cultured marble tops. (one piece counter top with built in sink) it will stain and discolor the marble
I recomend using silicone for these tops, just make sure to let dry for a couple of hours before using.
the silicone will only go around the drain in the top of the sink, don't use the silicone anywhere else. I like to use a little plumbers paste around the rubber washer on the underside of the sink, and just a little bit on any threads.
do not over tighten, use your chanel lock pliers until it is snug. if it is a plastic pop-up, they can break easily, so go easy

Aug 11, 2010 | Price Pfister 048E0BC Catalina...

1 Answer

I have a Moen Monticello bathroom faucet. I am

Moving left to right: I am not an expert, but I have installed a fair number of faucets. Seems like a basic issue of just getting under the sink and tightening up. Make sure someone is topside to assure the faucet stays straight and does not move as you tighten up below. It is never easy to get a wrench and your hands in the proper position to tighten up the nut, but don't give up try a smaller Channel lock wrench if necessary.

Sink Stopper: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/PopUpStop.html

Jan 02, 2010 | Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet - 4-inch...

1 Answer

The unit has a croosbar connecting the hot and cold water. How do you remove the crossbar to replace the faucet

Do we want to remove the faucet from the top of the sink?

First shut-off the water via the two valves under the sink. Then un-thread the hoses from the bottom of the sink. Sometimes it is possible to do with ordinary house tools but more than likely you will need to purchase a basin wrench for about $10. This wrench will allow you easy access to the bottom of the faucet.

Then, using the same wrench, un-thread the nut that is threaded on the same threads as the hose. This nut if probably pretty tight and will take some effort.

Replacing is the exact opposite except when replacing be sure to use plumbers putty on the bottom of the faucet as a means to keep water from running under the faucet base and ruining your cabinet.

May 21, 2009 | Delta Faucet 2520 Classic 4'' Centerset...

Not finding what you are looking for?

288 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15478 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

33359 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions