Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
The following tip is for everyone who is currently paying too much for their basic computer software!
Most PC users tell me how they just hate to spend their money each year on subscriptions to firewalls, anti-virus, and anti-spyware programs. Throw in a little more money up front for an office suit or photo editing software and you are looking at around $500 for the first year of ownership and around $100 in upgrades/update fees each year after!
Most folks don't know that with a little time and effort they can keep have their new system in good running order for zero dollars! Below are my list of must haves for your new shiny life hub!
1. AVG Free - Sleek and up to date anti virus program allows users most of the same features the expensive subscription based programs for free!
2. Ad-Aware Free - Great tool for anything AVG Free won't find. Specifically searches out for Spyware and other undesirables in your system for the cost of a breath of air.
3. CCleaner - Removes all the old junk on your system such as: trash, internet history, deleted files, and even has a handy start up manager, registry cleaner and add/remove programs application. Regular updates and also free.
4. Defraggler - I feel a sleeker, faster fragmenting tool for all of your attached drives, which is updated every month or so. Free from the makers of CCleaner.
5. Open Office - A free, MS Office like software suite that includes a Word Processor, Spread Sheet, and Presentation program. Updated regularly and has most of the same features the paid for suites have. For those of us who simply create documents this is a must have! Why spend $100's just to write a letter!
6. Gimp - Free image editor that is both powerful and easy to use.
Each of the above programs aside from being free are updated constantly and come with a ton of online based documentation and instructions for use. So delete all that bloatware that comes installed on your machine and simply run the Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, CClaner, and Defraggler once a month and your system will keep purring along for years to come!
Posted by MikeBabjak on
Aug 19, 2013 | Broderbund American Greeting CreataCard...
Dec 02, 2009 | HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion A6200N PC...
Jul 17, 2009 | Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (ADDS9U)...
196 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!