Tip & How-To about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 Full Version OEM for PC (20050424)
How to allow ping request through Norton Internet Security 2010 Smart Firewall
When Norton Internet Security is installed it will take over control of the Windows Firewall. So if you need to make changes to the computers firewall you will need to make the changes in Smart Firewall.
Below is the steps that you will need to go through to allow incoming echo Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) traffic through the Smart Firewall.
Note these are the Windows Vista and Windows 7 steps. If you have Windows XP the begining steps may be different but the final options you are looking for should be the same.
1. Click Start - Programs - Norton Internet Security - Norton Internet Security
2. Click on the "Settings" link in the Network section
3. Scroll down until you see the "Smart Firewall" section
4. Click on the "Configure" link for the Program Control option
5. Scroll down until you see the "TCP/IP Ping Command" option and click on the drop down to change it to "Allow".
6. Apply, then OK
At this point you should be able to ping this computer from another computer in the network. If you still have trouble you may want to check your other network settings and make sure you do not have any other programs that could be blocking ping requests to the computer.
Posted by Will... on
Nov 30, 2010 | Norton Internet Security 2010 Antivirus +...
Sep 21, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jul 21, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Apr 30, 2010 | D-Link DI-704P Router
Dec 31, 2009 | Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009
7,153 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!