Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
If you are reading this, then you either obtained a Lexmark x7170 printer which does not seem to work with your Leopard OS or you upgraded to Leopard only to suffer numerous printing issues.
Don't toss your printer into the trash . . . it is possible to make your printer work with OSX Leopard and the following steps will help you achieve this.
The first thing you need to know is DO NOT use the drivers on the Lexmark CD or the ones you download from Lexmark's Web site. Instead, use the drivers that come on the Leopard DVD.
If you upgraded from 10.4, do the following first 4 steps in order to clean up the old driver first before installing the new one. (If you have a clean install, skip steps 2, 3, and 4).
1. Unplug the USB printer cable from your mac.
2. On the System Peferences menu, remove the printer queue clicking the "-" button on the Printes & Faxes dialog
3. Delete the Lexmark folder found in /Library/Printers (get rid of both the contents and folder itself)
4. Delete the file LexmarkUSBMerge.kext in /System/Library/Extensions
5. Insert the Leopard Installer DVD and click Optional Installs
6. Click Optional Install.mpkg
7. Go through the installation process. On the installation type, select
Printer Drivers and click Lexmark Printer Drivers. Click continue and
complete the installation process.
8. Reboot the system
9. Plug back the USB cable
10. Add the printer queue back (if not automatcially)
If the above procedure did not work for you, start over from the beginning but make sure to run a complete search and remove all instances of the
LexmarkUSBMerge.kext file. The procedures above should restore printing back for your Lexmark.
If you have any questions or comments, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you find this tip helpful, please taker the time to give it a good rating.
Donald "Colt" Baldwin
Posted by Donald... on
Jan 12, 2012 | Lexmark X5650 AllInOne InkJet Printer
Dec 13, 2010 | Lexmark X7170 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jun 26, 2010 | Lexmark X7170 All-In-One Scan/Copy/Fax and...
Nov 03, 2009 | Epson Stylus Color 777 InkJet Printer
Apr 09, 2008 | Office Equipment & Supplies
314 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!