Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Here's some simple advice to anyone posting questions to Fixya that expects to find a solution. To begin, here's some preliminary basic information that is RECOMMENDED:
1. BRAND NAME - All brand names are NOT sold worldwide and are NOT designed the same. Whether it be appliances, electronics, lawn equipment, vehicles, etc., they all have different features, operating parameters and power requirements. Parts resources can also be different as some manufacturers do not ship internationally.
2. MODEL NUMBER - Again, ALL model numbered appliances, electronics, vehicles, etc., do NOT operate the same and offer different features. Failure symptoms can have different and significant differences between manufacturers. Please take the time to INCLUDE your MODEL NUMBER.
3. COUNTRY of ORIGIN - Although it is NOT currently a requirement by Fixya, it would help greatly if you would include your COUNTRY, since this is a WORLD WIDE service. Goods manufactured in different countries have different power requirements and can cause significant problems if the wrong advice is given.
EXAMPLE: The basic wire color codes in the United States differ from those in Europe. Voltage requirements for most European appliances and electronics is 220VAC, 50HZ. In the United States, the voltage requirements are 110VAC, 60HZ. The only exceptions are electric ranges and dryers in the US that use 220VAC, 60HZ.
4. SYMPTOM ELABORATION - Please include as much information as possible when describing the problem you are experiencing. ONE WORD GENERIC QUESTIONS, WILL USUALLY YIELD MINIMUM ATTENTION FROM THE EXPERTS. If WE have questions about your question, chances are it will go unresolved.
5. COMMUNICATION/FEEDBACK - If an Expert asks for follow-up information or clarification, please respond so your questions can be quickly resolved. If you are not happy with the initial solution, it is not always the fault of the Expert. Some of these solutions are "BEST GUESS" assessments based on the information YOU provided. If you are not happy with the initial solution(s), post feedback rather than leaving adverse ratings. Many of the Experts on this site work for FREE to provide the best solutions to help you save money and avoid the high price of service calls. We work hard for our ratings and spend numerous hours of our free time providing this useful and beneficial service to you. Many of us are willing to correspond back and forth with you in order to come to the desired solution you require. Lack of communication, however, will lead to fewer responses from Experts that will be willing to assist you.
Registered Experts on this website are NOT employed by Fixya. We are all consumers just like you. We have different areas of expertise and we VOLUNTEER our time to help others. The quality and accuracy of your solutions are based on the input we receive. If we are met with vague questions or hostility, you will not receive the "miracle cure" you are looking for. Many of us are mechanics, IT specialists and repairmen that can educate you and help you perform those simple repairs that do not require the assistance of a repairman. Most of the problems consumers encounter are simple and can be fixed easily with a just little guidance.
There are too many questions that are posted under the "GENERIC", or WRONG category that go unresolved because they do not include the basic information that we need to help you. Some Experts try their best to answer some of these questions, but are met with hostile remarks or adverse ratings because they didn't "guess" the correct solution. Please remember, the Experts here are volunteers and can only give advice based on the information YOU submit.
If you have comments or questions, I encourage you to provide feedback.
Posted by Jeff... on
May 01, 2012 | FixYa Service
May 01, 2011 | Sunbeam Coffee Makers & Espresso Machines
Dec 18, 2010 | Brother Office Equipment & Supplies
Sep 02, 2009 | Washing Machines
1,197 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!