Tip & How-To about Dishwashers
There are a few simple things to do to your dishwasher to maintain it in good working order and to avoid any service call outs.
1. Firstly on a monthly basis you should check and clean the filter located in the sump of the unit.
Make sure all the water has drained out of the unit and remove the filter and give it a good clean and remove any foreign particles you may find in the sump.
2. In the unit there are 3 spray arms. These are the moving parts of the dishwasher that actually spray water out and do the cleaning. If any of the tiny holes in the spray arms are blocked up with foreign particles or food you will end up with poor wash results.
Each of these arms are removable and should be checked and cleaned on a regular basis. To clean the spray arms poke the holes with a pick of some sort and wash them under the tap.
Make sure the spray arms are fitted back correctly and are tightened back in place. Make sure they can also freely spin.
3. You should also see depending on your dishwasher model some sort of drain pump. If it is accessible like in the model above make sure there is nothing wrapped around the drain pump or something that could obstruct the drain pump from turning and draining the water away.
4. Make sure any fittings inside the unit are tight and not loose as the unit could then cause a water leak internally.
5. The screws around the door frame tend to work loose with time and also may need a tighten up.
6. A dishwasher is not a sink errator and cannot take away anything other than food that it can liquify. I recommend that you scrape your plates prior to loading the dishwasher.
You don't have to rinse them as the detergent needs some dirt and sauce to stick too
If you break a plate or glass remove the filter and clean it and have a look in the sump for the broken part.
If food does get in to the unit most of it will get caught in the filter but food can still get past this and can cause further problems where you need a service technician to remove the circulation pump and free up the pump.
Hope this helps.
Posted by David on
Good Afternoon Denise, thanks for your post!
Based off what you have described your Frigidaire dishwasher will light up and will not start or cancel. This could be a possible problem with your keypad or control panel. In order to access which electrical component that could be causing the issue you would need to disassemble your dishwasher. This is not a simple DIY job and I would recommend having a professional technician for proper diagnosis and repair. This will help you avoid unnecessary part purchases. -Matt
Apr 10, 2015 | Frigidaire Dishwashers
Mar 26, 2010 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Oct 05, 2013 | Health & Beauty
have an older dishwasher also and recently my wife also complained
about it not cleaning right... so me being the man I am tried in vain
to clean the things... Bought new spray arms online and installed
them in minutes...now the thing works like new... However I have also
found that if the heating element goes bad then that also can mess
things up bad... So I would buy new spray arms, and also check out
the heating element to make sure it is working... Here is a tip that
will help you with the online buying...
Dishwasher Spray Arms not Spinning
How to Buy Appliance Parts Online
A bad heating element causes many problems in dishwashers...
Dishwasher Problems The Heating Element not Working
Asker's Testimonial "explanation very clear. will give it a go and see how simple it was. thanks Ronnie " - ronnieshomes
Feb 23, 2011 | KitchenAid 24 in. KUDS01FLSS Built-In...
301 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!