Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Configure Wireless Zero Configuration to connect to wireless network on your wireless XP computer.
Below mentioned steps will help enable Wireless Zero Configuration on your XP computer and achieve wireless connectivity. These steps applies to your XP wireless computer (Desktops and laptops) with external or built in wireless cards.
Please perform the following steps on your wireless computer to enable WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration):
1. Right click on My Computer icon and go to Manage.
2. Go to Services then go to Service and Applications.
3. Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration.
4. Change the Start Up Type to Automatic and click on Apply
5. Click on Start and press OK to close the window.
6. Go to 'Control Panel', Click on Classic View in the left hand side menu and then open 'Network Connections'.
7. Right-click on the wireless Network Connection icon and select 'Properties'.
8. Go to the 'Wireless Networks' tab .
9. Check the option 'Use Windows to Configure this Wireless Connection' and click 'OK'.
Now please perform the following instructions to connect to the wireless network:
1. Go to 'Control Panel', Click on Classic View in the left hand side menu and then open 'Network Connections'.
2. Right-click on the wireless Network Connection icon and select 'Properties'.
3. Click on the 'wireless network' tab.
4. Under Preferred networks if you see any name in the list then highlight the name and click remove.Click OK.
5. Right-click on the wireless Network Connection icon and select 'View Available Networks'.
6. Look for the SSID (aka Network Name) of the Wireless router or access point.
7. Highlight the SSID from the list that you want to connect to.
8. Type the security Key here and click on the 'Connect' button. You should have successfully established a wireless network connection.
The above steps will help you in the configuration of wireless connectivity if you are not aware about the settings of wireless connection utility installed on the computer.
Posted by Anand... on
Wireless Zero configuration is a utility that connects your computer to a wireless network.
Wireless Zero configuration is not enabled, the following message will
appear: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection."
Note: If you have the Belkin utility installed, you'll need to change the Program Choice in the Options tab so the Windows XP Utility is selected.
Find Wireless Zero Configuration within the Services list.
Right-click Windows Zero Configuration and select Properties.
Select Automatic from the drop-down menu next to Startup type.
Click Apply and restart your computer.
Jun 06, 2011 | Belkin Ethernet Adapter F5D5050 Network...
Jan 05, 2011 | Dell Dimension 4500 PC Desktop
Dec 01, 2010 | ASUS Eee PC 4GB Notebook
Feb 26, 2010 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
360 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!