Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Errors 161, 192, 163.
All three of these errors are connected to the back up
To resolve this problem:
1. open memory flap on base of laptop (small philips
2. find the small connector with 1 black & 1 red wire
coming from it.
3. disconnect above connector and gently pull the
Red&black wires. The backup battery should just pull out
from under the casing.
4. get replacement battery. Either
a. call IBM spares (07900 247 490 in UK) and ask for FRU:
02K6502. UK price is about £8 + £15 delivery + VAT.
b. if comfortable with soldering iron: Carefully open the
packaging on the backup battery using a sharp knife.
Remove the solder tags from the battery (these are spot
welded so need to be cut/broken off). Buy a new CR2025
battery from any computer shop, jeweler, or camera shop.
Using electrical tape, insulate all round edge of battery
(see the one just removed). Solder the leads onto the new
battery - note polarity. Red wire to +, black wire to -.
Using more insulating tape, wrap battery so that all
exposed metal is covered.
5. put new battery into laptop (reverse steps 1-3)
6. start up computer, error 192 has gone, but still shows
161, 163. Select OK.
7. reset date & time, and OK
8. when screen shows 'O / I' restart laptop using on/off
switch at side.
Posted by lamajcired... on
Mar 05, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Oct 24, 2009 | Canon imageRUNNER 1210 Copier
Mar 17, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad 600 Notebook
Mar 05, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad T21 Notebook
151 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!