Tip & How-To about Microwave Ovens

How to repair a dead microwave.

Your unit is dead, mains are good, tried power plug in other receptacles, still no power. You more than likely have a bad fuse inside the unit.

Unplug the unit. Remove the cover. Generally this requires removing all the screws on the back perimeter and lifting the cover up or perhaps sliding it off the front. Sometimes the cover will stick due to old grease, etc.

Somewhere in the area of where the power cord comes in, or near the transformer there should be a small fuse in a holder. It is not a glass fuse and should be replaced with the same kind which is a ceramic, and the same value which is in amps. This is important for future protection.

You can get the fuse at http://www.mcmelectronics.com/ or http://www.repairclinic.com . Get a box of five for future problems. If this was the only problem your microwave should work.

If the new fuse blows you could have a shorted power transformer, bad high voltage diode, or a bad magnatron in that order. There could also be a short in the board with the display but that would be unusual.

Check out my tip at http://www.fixya.com/support/r4223574-microwave_oven_will_not_heat for more help.

hardrocko

Thanks for using FixYa

Posted by on

Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Whirlpool microwave gh7208xrb-3 fuse is good but the unit has no powernothing lights up at all it like it is dead.


Control board might be dead. Cost is quite high could run up to $200 or more. Many times I recommend just to replace it. Here's the dumb question, is power present at receptacle?, if over range microwave, in cabinet above microwave? Check for gfci receptacle tripped. Sometimes fuses appear good, always be sure to test with a meter.

Oct 28, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

no power to Samsung SMH 9151


The main fuse in the microwave oven has probably blown.

Mar 28, 2012 | Samsung SMH9151 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No lights - no power - DEAD! Worked fine an hour earlier now ... nothing. Check fuse in mains box - all OK - tried it plugged into another outlet... nothing.


Your unit is dead, mains are good, tried in other receptacles, still no power. You have a bad fuse inside the unit. Unplug. Remove the cover. Generally this requires removing all the screws on the back perimeter and lifting the cover up. Sometimes they stick due to old grease, etc. Somewhere in the area of where the power cord comes in or near the transformer there should be a small fuse in a holder. It is not a glass fuse and should be replaced with the same kind (ceramic) and value. This is important for future protection. You can get the fuse at www.mcmelectronics.com . Get a box of five for future problems. If this was the only problem your microwave should work. If it blows the new fuse you could have a shorted power transformer, bad high voltage diode, or a bad magnatron in that order. There could also be a short in the board with the display but that would be unusual. Let me know if you need anymore helpl

hardrocko

Thanks for using FixYa

Feb 26, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

microwave


Mst likely a blown fuse. You''ll need to unplug the unit, remove the outside cover and follow the line cord and you should find the fuse.

Replace it with the EXACT same value that was labeled on the original fuse. You'll probably be able to find a replacement at any Radio Shack store or hardware store.

Replace the cover and plug the unit back in. Hopefully nothing was damaged and the unit will play again.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Good luck!

- Jim

Mar 03, 2008 | Panasonic NN-T994SF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

MAYTAG mmv4205aab OVER THE RANGE MICROWAVE


It could easily be a bad line fuse and/or line filter. To access you will need to unplug the unit and remove the outside case. Inside the unit, where the A/C power cord comes in, there should be a small circuit card (part #237068) located somewhere with a fuse mounted on it. This is your input line filter board with line fuse. Replace the fuse, first and see if this fixes your problem. This is a 20amp appliance fuse that you can purchase at any hardware store. Make sure you place the cover back on the unit BEFORE you plug it in. It is not safe to have this area of the microwave exposed with power applied. High potentials in the 4,000 volt range are present! If the fuse does not correct your problem, the circuit card runs about $26.00. Good luck and hope this fixes your problem.

Aug 04, 2007 | Maytag MMV1153A Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

1,163 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75817 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Loading...