Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
How to change your drive letter in Windows XP
1. Right click on your "My Computer" icon and select Manage.
Note you can also right click on the "My Computer" icon from your Start Menu.
2. Next click on "Storage" and then "Disk Management"
3. Next right click on the drive you want to change the drive letter on and click on "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
4. Next click on the "Change" button
5. Next click on the letter drop down on the right. Note you can change the drive letter to any letter that is not already used. However in most cases you will not beable to use letters A-D but E-Z should be open for you to select.
Also note if you are needing to change a drive letter to something that a device requires you to select but it is being used by another device you will have to move the other device to another letter first.
6. After selecting the drive letter click OK.
Note the below message come up. So as long as you are on changing the drive letter of a CD-ROM or Harddrive then you can just click YES. Keep in mind that if a program was installed from this the drive that you changed the drive letter of to be able to use that program you may need to reinstall and/or redirect the program to the new drive letter.
7. At this point the drive should be changed. Close out of Computer Management and reboot your computer to make sure your change takes full effect.
Note the steps for Windows Vista and Windows 7 are pretty much the same however if you go to the below link you can see the steps along with the screen shots of the menus.
Posted by Will... on
Nov 25, 2010 | Iomega eGo 1TB USB 3.0 Portable - Ruby Red...
Feb 21, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 17, 2009 | Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500GB, 7200 RPM,...
Aug 04, 2009 | Teac (DW-224EA-AM6) CD-RW/DVD-ROM (Combo)...
3,639 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!