Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Below mentioned are the suggestions that may help you achieve optimum performance from your battery.
1. We all know how wireless activities drain our device’s battery. They consume significant power even when not in use but left ON. So when on battery power, it’s advisable to turn off wi-fi and bluetooth services.
2. Say no to Screensaver: For best battery life, switch off the screensaver.
3. We should reduce the screen brightness to the lowest comfortable level in order to gain some extra battery life.
4. Unwanted Sounds: Try to mute the speakers volume and avoid using multimedia software for better battery life. Also you can avoid sound schemes which are installed which may reduce your battery life.
5. USB devices and other external peripherals should be shut and removed if not in use. For instance, charging an iPod while on battery, unless very essential, is a bad idea. The same goes for removing any CD or DVD when not in use.
6. Whenever our system runs out of RAM memory it uses virtual memory resulting in hard disk use, which is relatively a less efficient option in terms of power consumption. However, it goes without saying that additional ram does consume energy too so this advice suits best those users who often find themselves in need of extensive virtual memory.
7. It’s a good idea to shut down background programs to reduce CPU usage, say for instance desktop search applications.
8. Avoid using the plug-in DVD rom / external drives which generally runs on batteries. You can transfer the content to the hard drive or you can also run virtual drives like Pismo File Mount, Daemon tool or even Microsoft’s Virtual CD ROM Control Panel.
9. Optimize your power options to get maximum battery juice. The notebook should try to shut down the hard disk and put the display to sleep whenever idle.
10. For a healthy lithium based battery, it’s advisable to keep the electrons in motion occasionally. It’s not absolutely healthy to keep it plugged in all the time. Ideally, one should let it discharge fully at least once a month to keep the battery juice flowing.
11. When on battery power, say in a flight, use one application at a time. Ideally shut the email app once you’re done with it and then turn on the word processor.
12. A defragmented disk puts lesser strain on the battery and hard disk, so make your disk drive as efficient as you can by performing defragmentation regularly, say once every month.
13.Hibernating retains your system state as you last left it. So it’s more energy efficient than even shutting down the computer and booting it all over again.
Posted by Robin_robs on
Apr 27, 2010 | Belkin N1 Wireless-N Wireless Router
Dec 30, 2007 | HP DC170B Keyboard
192 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!