Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
What you need:
- Have the hidden partition previously unspoiled, at least working. It is usually called "PQSERVICE" without this you cannot use this guide
- os needed: Windows XP(should work with vista to) on a partition C:/ . c:/ also needs to have enough harddisk space to install your particular OS, for vista i suggest at least 10+ gig, xp 5gig+ (to be safe)
- I would think that PTEDIT32 is not supported by 64bit os's but if you find a similar program, please reply
- look through replies to this post for more tips!
[b]Supported by models:
- Aspire 5610 default os: Vista
- Acer 5101 with Win XP home.
- Look through other peoples postings for models supported.
1. Download: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...s/PTEDIT32.zip
2. Launch PTEDIT in WIN XP and change the partition that has a 12 in it's boot to 07. Save and exit. Restart PC
3. Search for mbrwrwin and rtmbr.bin and find them on F: (or at least i did, it is the hidden partition's driveletter. Copy both to c:\
4. run cmd(command) and go to c:\ (use cd\)
5. type this: mbrwrwin install rtmbr.bin
6. press enter, and let it do its stuff(this installs the alt+f10 option)
7. restart PC and press alt+f10 at post screen, or if you like me do not know what postscreen is, just press alt+f10 continuously from the first booting you see. If it don't work, make sure d2d recovery is enabled in bios
Factory recovery should begin and work perfectly.
But this proves that you can install a different OS on the computer and still get it back to factorydefault. My warranty says that the warranty gets broken if you install a different OS on the acer computer. But this installs all back to normal.
If you looked for a way to delete the partition, i guess the easiest way is to pop inn a windows XP installation cd and delete it from the XP setup.
Posted by electronic... on
May 23, 2015 | Acer Computers & Internet
Dec 01, 2012 | Acer Aspire 5742Z-4200 Notebook
Mar 01, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Sep 02, 2008 | Acer Aspire 5610-4648 Notebook
Mar 19, 2008 | Computers & Internet
268 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!