Ok – so you have just bought your new computer and your trial of Microsoft Office has expired or you have no Office type application on your computer.
You have no choice but to pay up for the full version or purchase the software because you need Microsoft Word or PowerPoint or one or other of these applications. These are essential to your use of the computer and there is no real alternative - right?
Well, this Tip points to a very good reliable and completely free alternative. Open Office includes powerful applications for making text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, diagrams, and databases, as well as PDF, HTML and XML documents
Open Office is a software package that has been around and under constant development and improvement for over 20 years. If you are familiar with Microsoft Word or other similar Office applications then you will take to this software straight away.
It is designed to be user friendly and despite the fact that it is free, it emulates the look and feel of other expensive software packages.
Most impressively – it is Completely Free to use!
OpenOffice.org contains all the software you will need in one single package.
- User friendly - uses familiar screens and menus which are easy to adapt to.
- The software has extensive compatibility with Windows, Mac, Solaris and Linux OS.
- This software contains absolutely no 'nags', Adware or Spyware.
- Updates to the software are available several times per year at no cost.
- Is 'Open Source' Programming – i.e. contains no hidden codes.
- Can be reported on by any user for suggestions to improve the overall interface or functionality.
- Files can be saved in several different file formats including the .doc format used by Microsoft Word. This ensures extensive compatibility for documents which for example, may need to be opened by Microsoft Word on another computer.
- The program even has capability to export documents into the PDF format which allows compatibility with Adobe software and the ability to create PDF documents.
- Open Office has the capability to read existing documents which were created in another software program. It has even been known to open old Word version documents or corrupted documents that MS Word itself could not open.
- Best of all, OpenOffice.org 3 can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees.
- OpenOffice.org 3 is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration. You may install it on as many computers as you like.
What Does the Package Consist Of?1) Writer – A fully equipped word processor similar to Microsoft Word.2) Calc – A comprehensive spreadsheet application similar to MS Excel.3) Impress – A multimedia application similar in functionality to MS PowerPoint.4) Draw – Graphics and Diagrams to display anything from a simple sketch to a complex plan.5) Base – A Data Base Application similar to MS Access.
- Provides support for multiple languages and text formats.
Further information on the software listed in 1-5 is available to view here
Open Office is a stable and extremely impressive alternative to expensive software packages. The total download
requires around 150 MB of disk space.
Hope this Tip helps and may save you a few bucks! If so – please do leave a vote for it.