Tip & How-To about NetGear PS121 Print Server
If you can not run the installation software for the print server PS121 on the computer then you can try the below steps to manually configure the printer port settings:
1. Visit the link below to make sure that the printer is in compatibility list:
2. Make sure that the printer is working in direct connection with the computer.
1. Now connect the printer to the USB port of the printserver and then the Ethernet cable from the router to the Printserver Ethernet port.
2. Press the DIAGNOSTIC tool button on the printserver for 10 sec (All the lights will blink amber), you will receive a print page with Port name,Ip address of the printer and other details.
3. The ip address will be given from the router. If there is no ip address then powercycle the router, printserver and the printer. Press the diagnostic tool button again.
Configure printer port settings on XP computer:
1. Go to control panel then go to printer and faxes.
2. Right click on the printer icon go to properties.
3. Click on the ports tab on the top.
4. Click on add port.
5. Select standard TCP/IP port and click on new port.
6. Press next.
7. Enter the IP address of the print server it will show you the port (IP_ip address).
8. Press next.
9. Select the second option custom and click on settings button.
10. Select the protocol as LPR; enter the queue name as q1.
11. Select LPR byte counting enable.
12. Click on ok and press next then click on finish.
Configure printer port settings on VISTA computer:
1. Please confirm you are able to print by connecting the printer to the Vista computer directly.
2. Click Start - select Control Panel then switch it to Classic View from left side.
3. Double click on Printers & Click on 'Add a Printer'.
4. Select 'Add a local printer' & Click next.
5. Select 'Create a new port'.
6. Select 'Standard TCP/IP Port' as 'Type of port' then click 'Next'
7. Enter the IP Address of the Print Server in the 'Hostname or IP address' field.
8. Uncheck 'Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use' & Cilck next.
9. Select 'Custom' then Click on 'Settings' on the next dialogue box.
10. On the next dialogue box, select 'LPR' as the 'Protocol'.
11. Under the LPR Settings put in any name for the 'Queue Name'.
12. Check 'LPR Byte Counting Enabled' then click on OK and next.
13. Select the Manufacturer and the Model Number of the printer. If it is not available then click on 'Have Disk'. Click 'Next'.
14. Check 'Set as the default printer' and click next.
15. Try to print test page, it'll print.
These steps will help manually configure the printer port settings on the computer.
Posted by Anand... on
Mar 23, 2010 | NetGear PS121 Print Server
Feb 26, 2010 | NetGear PS121 Print Server
May 01, 2009 | NetGear PS121 Print Server
Apr 26, 2008 | NetGear PS121 Print Server
Nov 02, 2007 | NetGear PS121 Print Server
2,573 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!