Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Most of the times after configuring the wireless connection on the NETGEAR ROUTERS, the user either forgets the security key or misplaces it.
In order to get this key we need to login to the router's page using any computer which is physically connected to router. The below steps are applicable for most of the NETGEAR routers.
Please follow the steps on a computer connected to the router so as to check the network key:
1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari).
2. Access the router, usually by typing 'http://192.168.1.1' or'http://192.168.0.1' or 'http://www.routerlogin.com' in the address bar.
3. Login to the router with the Username as "admin" and Password as "password" (please note that Username and Password are case sensitive).
4. Click on Wireless Settings (under Setup) from the left menu.
5. Check if WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) or WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) is selected under 'Security Options'.
6. If WPA-PSK is selected, copy the code entered in the passphrase(or network key).
7. If WEP is selected, copy the code entered in the key that has been checked.
This is the code required for connecting the wireless computer to the router's wireless network.
In some cases, for security reasons the passphrase might show as asterisks. In this case type a new Password and click apply. You will then have to use the same Password for all the wireless devices connecting to the network.
Hope the above steps will help the user to locate or reset the wireless security key.
Posted by Anand... on
Feb 15, 2013 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G Router
Jan 02, 2013 | NetGear DG834G Router
Feb 25, 2012 | NetGear Computers & Internet
After logging in. Look at the main menu
on the left, click on Wireless Settings, from there you
can check the Wireless Key(For WEP you need Key 1,2,3 or 4 whichever is selected... For WPA you need passphrase) or you can setup
wireless security from there if you haven't done so.
~~Hope this helps~~
Nov 28, 2011 | NetGear WNR2000 Wireless Router
Nov 15, 2009 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
1,330 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!