Tip & How-To about Nintendo DS Lite Console
If your built in microphone on your DS lite is not working then there are 5 things I can suggest for you before you go ahead and buy a new one for replacement.
1) Make sure your volume is up, you may not be hearing it picking up (sounds obvious but worth a try).
2) Use a wooden coctail stick or similar and CAREFULLY remove any lint/fluff that may have collected in the mic slot (be careful not to dig too deep as this will damage the mic).
3) Use a hairdryer on a low setting to dry out any spittle that may have collected in the mic (please be careful not to let the ds get too hot as this will cause serious damage).
4) Test your external mic port by either connecting a mic if you have one and if not get a slither of metal (such as a sewing needle or small/precision flat-head screwdriver) and give it a wiggle in the mic port. (the mic port is the rectangled hole with two metal pins in it net to the 3.5mm headphone jack), if you get a reaction thats a good sign and shows that, if it comes down to it you can use an external mic until you get the problem sorted.
5) I must stress that this last tip requires you to have a steady and gentle hand... plus a bit of congidence :).
Use a sewing needle or pin to gently pry the two metal pins in the mic jack upwards, the front of the pins are fixed but further back the pins float, you need to raise these enough to sever the connection these pins are making as when these pins are making a connection they over-ride the internal mic.
If all these five tips fail to work for you then your only option is to replace the microphone, it can easily be done with basic/moderate D.I.Y skills. A replacement DS lite microphone is readily avaliable and cheap on ebay. If you need help with a microphone replacement please feel free to contact me and I will do my best to help you out.
I hope this helps and would like to say I accept no responsability for any damage that may occur to your ds lite when following my tips.
Posted by sod696969 on
May 20, 2010 | Nintendo DS Lite Console
May 18, 2010 | Nintendo DS Lite Console
Feb 09, 2010 | Nintendo DS Lite Console
Feb 15, 2009 | Nintendo DS Lite Console
Jan 13, 2008 | Nintendo DS Lite Console
1,461 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!