Since you are not the first to use the fairly used/second hand phone, you need to be careful before you purchase it because it might be faulty and maybe that's why the owner wants to sell it.
These phones are funny sometimes because it might work well before you pay for it and by the time you get home, the fault of the phone might begin to show up.
Its also not advice-able to buy a second hand phone on the street or from someone you don't know too well that just convinced you to buy the phone. If such phone is faulty, you might not get the person that sold the phone to you or you might even see the person and he/she denies that they never saw you before. That's why its good to have a particular customer you buy such phones from after past successful transactions.
You will find below, factors to be considered before paying for Fairly used phones:
- Before attempting to buy the used phone, check other varieties of phones the seller has and see if three or more of these phones reach the standard of the particular one you want to purchase, so that if need be that you return the phone, you can still choose from other phones that has the same standard.
- Feel the phone and look at it very well if the case/phone cover has not been changed before.
- Open the phone's back cover and check if the battery is very old or not.
- Check the phone sticker where you will find information about the phone like; Country the phone was made, phone model, imei, etc. Quality of the phone sticker and the way the information is printed also counts.(Note that Nokia phones made from Germany, Netherlands, Finland and Hungary are usually good phones. But you still need to check the sticker quality in case the country was just printed to convince people)
- Check the phone screws thoroughly to be sure the phone has not been loosed before. For some phones, you need to open the phone front case cover before you can access the screws.
- Put your nose on the charging port area of the phone and perceive for any burnt smell from it. Further check if the charging port is not rust, including the earphone and other parts where a device can be inserted into the phone. Do not over look dust in such areas.
- Insert your sim card and not the sellers sim into the phone. If possible test with maybe one or two other sim cards and see if the sim network will work with the phone.
- Use the phone to make a call, so as to know the strength and quality of the phone service. Likewise the clarity of the mouth piece and ear piece.
- Test the ring tones on the phone or play music with it, so that you can hear the sound quality of the phone ringer/speaker. If it makes some crackling noise or distortion, then the speaker/ringer is faulty.
- Put on the phone and check the quality of the screen. If its too bright, try to adjust the contrast and if there is still no display quality, then the screen might have been changed or its a refurbished phone.
- Press the keypad button from one (1) to zero (0), star (*) and harsh (#) to know if they are functioning well. Further press other buttons on the phone and also side buttons.
- Browse through the phone menu, check "Message", "Settings", "Contacts" and other application on the phone so as to be sure the phone does not hang or freeze.
- Check the Imei number of the phone by dialing (*#06#), a fifteen digit number will be displayed on the screen. Check these numbers if they are the same with the Imei printed on the phone sticker. If its not the same, please don not buy such phone, even if every other aspect of the phone seems good.
- For Nokia phones; dial (*#0000#) to reveal the date the phone was manufactured. Do not purchase phone that has a far back manufacture date, like; Oct, 2002
The above points might seem many, but they must all be considered before purchasing a second hand phone, because buying the phone involves hard earned cash. Moreover, over looking the above points means taking a big risk and you might be duped in the process.
Take note: When you want to buy a fairly used used phone. do not be moved by what the seller says about the quality and wellness of the phone, just go ahead and check those necessary things that needs to be checked and be well convinced before considering to buy the phone. Do not manage or overlook and lapses you observe.
I wish you all the best of luck.