Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
These days PC viruses have become very common therefore, there are several instances when after inserting your flash drive in infected PC, you end up not seeing your files anymore. It can also take place after scanning your flash drive with certain anti-virus programs. This normally happens a lot with folders. Many people after showing hidden files, if they still don't see them, think that they are gone. No they are not. I have solved a lot of such problems for people. Here's what to do:
Download 'WinRAR' software for free on the internet. An example is http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar390.exe
1. Now double click and follow the instructions to install.
2. Be sure that you have inserted the affected flash drive in usb port.
3. Click the start button and go to programs. And then to WinRAR.
4. When WinRAR opens, use the drop down arrow to select your flash drive.
5. After selecting it, you will see that all your 'missing' folders and files are showing (except the files that were removed because they were infected by viruses).
6. Now you cannot right-click and copy so you would have to use control+c to copy.
7. Create a folder on a different drive that you would copy the files that you need into.
8. Now, in the WinRAR, you can open any folder that you need by highlighting all or a selected number of files and use control+c to copy and then paste them in your created folder ( by either right-clicking and selecting paste or using control+v).
I recommend that you recreate the folders that you have on the flash drive using the same folder names and then copy only files into them. This is because, files always show when copied but folders do not always show when copied. You can then wipe your flash drive and recopy the retrieved files/folders. That is all. You have successfully recovered your files.
Hope this was helpful. All the best.
Posted by C A... on
Feb 02, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Jan 19, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 05, 2010 | PNY 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Blue/Black
Oct 04, 2009 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Motherboard - ATX...
525 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!