Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Just some few tips to share with expert mates.
I am sure many Fixya experts will agree that the use of these would be nice to see.
1. Have you tried turning it off and on again? (reference from British TV show “The IT Crowd intentional)
2. Spell check: Please use spell check as it makes reading your stumper of a question much easier to understand. It is hard enough without having to be a world class language cipher too. Not sure how to spell it, look it up in Google or use Firefox for the spellchecker in it.
3. Know what you have: Please know the pertinent information about your product - IE year, make, and model ETC.
4. Invest some time: If you invest next to no time in explaining the problem to the possible expert solving your question, there are chances he or she will invest the same amount of time you did in writing it. Take your time and be clear. It will always result in far better solutions to your problem. Some wise guys on Fixya might even make their response as cryptic as your question to make a point.
5. What has happened?: What were you doing or attempting to do with it when it failed? Was the problem gradual or instant? In the instance of computers, what were you doing with it the whole day before with it? Did you let someone else use your computer? You know the one who managed to get all the malware installed on your now debilitated machine. It also helps to know that your 3 year old tried to feed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to it.
6. What have you tried to remedy the situation?: List the things you have tried to remedy the problem and what effect did they have on the problem. It is always nice to know what you have tried as of yet so your time is not wasted answering the seemingly obvious things you have tried already. It is also nice to know when you have damaged it beyond recognition.
Posted by Titilayo... on
Mar 02, 2014 | FixYa Service
Sep 11, 2012 | FixYa Computers & Internet
Feb 16, 2011 | Rheem Water Heaters
Jan 05, 2011 | FixYa Service
Dec 22, 2010 | FixYa Service
146 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!