Tip & How-To about Cell Phones

How to dry out your cell phone from toilet water or washing machine

Dry well with a towel, remove the back and battery. Put all pieces in a bowl of uncooked rice for several days. The rice sucks the moisture out of the phone. May take up to a week for all functions to opperate fully.

Posted by on

Cell Phones Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have one maxwest cellphone it's damaged by water, can it fix it?

Open the phone and remove the battery. Dab all internal surfaces with paper towel to remove as much moister as possible. Then use a hair dryer on medium heat to gently dry the phone completely. Make sure the battery is dry as well. Leave the phone open for a further half hour after drying and then put the battery back in and close the case. Switch on the phone, good luck.

Dec 30, 2014 | Cell Phones

1 Answer

Help! I accidentally washed my Hunter ceiling fan remote. It was mixed up in my sheets and it went into the washer with the laundry. I retrieved it and dried it. I know the battery works because I put it back in the remote and the little blue light on the remote is on. But now my fan does not respond to any button I push. How do I fix this ? ( The part number on my remote is G1241, if that helps)

The electronic parts inside the remote are not sealed. Water is a conductor of electricity and has changed the way the circuits need to function to control your fan unit.
Remove the battery & place the remote in a sock and fill a large bowl with uncooked (dry) rice 1/2 way. Put the sock in the bowl on the rice and cover with more rice. Wait a day or two.
The dry rice will act as a sponge - and attract the moisture from the remote completely (this works for anything that shouldn't get wet (cellphones, etc.).
After allowing the rice to absorb the moisture, remove the remote & discard the rice. Install the battery and try again. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to replace the remote.
Good luck!

May 17, 2013 | Dryers

1 Answer

my pen drive got into water for about an an hour......

As flash drives are so small, they are easy to put in a pocket and forget about, which can lead to an inadvertent trip to the laundry.

Most flash drives will survive a trip through the washer, as they are usually well sealed and have no battery.

It is important not to use the drive if any moisture is present, but once dried the drive should still be useable with the original data intact.

All that is required to save a wet flash drive is a bowl of uncooked rice

Dry the flash drive as much as possible with a piece of paper towel to absorb excess moisture.

Gently pry open the case of the flash drive if possible, using a small flat-blade screwdriver to separate the two halves of the case.

This is not essential, but will cut the drying time and will help to limit corrosion.

Dry the inside of the case as much as possible with the paper towel.

Pour some uncooked rice into a small plastic bag, and then place the flash drive in the bag and seal.

Place the bag in a warm, dry place for at least 24-hours.

The rice draws out and absorbs any moisture present, speeding up the drying time and ensuring the drive is completely dry.

Check the drive after 24 hours. If you can see any moisture, leave the board for 24 hours and repeat until the board is completely dry.

Reassemble the case, ensuring the two halves are tight shut. Use a small spot of glue to hold the two halves together securely if necessary.

You can then use the flash drive as normal

hope this helps

Oct 15, 2012 | SanDisk Open Box 1GB Cruzer Mini...

1 Answer

Smartphone submerged in water

Make sure that you immediately remove it from the water and remove the battery and the simcard / memory card from your cellphone. Then towel dry it and put it in a ziplock bag with about a cup of uncooked rice. Leave it there for 1 - 2 days to let the rice absorb the moisture. Then after 1 - 2 days, cross your fingers and try to turn on your cellphone. =)

Jan 09, 2012 | HTC Wildfire Cell Phone

1 Answer

Can I fix a cell phone that got wet?

DO not turn the phone on... Remove the battery cover and battery. Fill a bowl about 1" deap with dry uncooked rice. Place phone on top of the rice and cover it with another 1" of rice. Let stand for several days. The rice will drawn the moisture out of the phone.

Oct 15, 2009 | LG Vu CU920 Cellular Phone

Not finding what you are looking for?

103 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cell Phones Experts

Computer Repairing
Computer Repairing

Level 3 Expert

14641 Answers


Level 3 Expert

76164 Answers

William Alequin

Level 3 Expert

928 Answers

Are you a Cell Phone Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions