Methods to Remove the Registry Editing Restriction
Method 1 :- Using REG.EXE Console Tool
REG add HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
- Click Start, Run and type this command
You should be able to launch Tweak UI, as well as the Registry Editor.
Method 2 :- Using the Group Policy Editor (Windows XP Only)
Note:- If the setting already reads Not Configured, set it to Enabled and click Apply . Then revert it back to Not Configured. This ensures that the DisableRegistryTools registry value is removed successfully.
- Click Start, Run and type gpedit.msc and press Enter
- Goto the following location User Configuration | Administrative Templates | System
- Double-click Disable Registry editing tools and set it to Not Configured
- Exit the Group Policy Editor