Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
What if you don’t have DVD-ROM and you are running Windows XP, you might have guessed in this case we can’t install windows 7.
Since Windows 7 ISO size is around 2.24 GB so its obvious that you will need to burn windows 7 iso on DVD and another issue is you can’t start windows 7 installation by mounting ISO file on windows XP as Windows XP upgrade to windows 7 is not allowed. In such situation installing windows 7 from USB pen drive is feasible solution.
Here is small guide on how to install windows 7 from USB flash drive or USB pen Drive for Windows XP users.
How to Install Windows 7 from USB Flash Drive Requirement:
USB Pen Drive (Min 4 GB)
Windows 7 ISO (32 bit or 64 bit)
MBRwiz Download and Extract it on your hard drive (Diskpart utility for Windows XP doesn’t detect USB drive as Disk hence we need to use this free utility to make bootable USB drive).
1. Connect your USB Flash Drive to your computer Format USB drive
2. To Format USB Flash Drive Go to My Computer -> Right click on USB drive and select Format from context menu.
3. Now go to Start Menu->run->cmd (Open Command Prompt) and Type following command
convert i: /fs:ntfs (Where “I” is your USB drive latter)
4. Mount Windows 7 iso as drive (You can use Freeware MagicDisc download from here).
5. Type Start->run->cmd
Now dir to directory where you have extracted MBRWiz and run following commands
mbrwiz /list (note down disk number of your USB Pen drive)
mbrwiz /disk=X /active=X (X is Disk Number of your USB Drive)
6. Now open another command window and type following command
J: (Drive letter of Windows 7 iso mounted with demon tool)
bootsect /nt60 Y: (Y is drive latter of your USB drive )
7. Now copy all files from drive where you have mount Windows 7 iso
8. Now reboot your computer and press F9 to get your BIOS screen and select USB drive as your boot drive.
9. If every thing goes fine, Your Windows 7 Installation should start from your USB drive.
Posted by karan... on
Nov 26, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
May 14, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 Full...
Aug 02, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Mar 04, 2009 | Acer Aspire 4530-5889 Notebook PC
193 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!