Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
* Do not use multi-colored backgrounds with text that clashes with it- If you are using a dark colored background, use light colored text and visa versa.
* Do not use dark backgrounds and light text if you have alot of information to convey - Reading light text on a black background strains the eye.
* Do not use "rainbow text" (this would be having each letter a different color) - Another tough thing to read.
* Do not use allot of animation - Not only does this create a slower loading site, but if the visitor is going to be staying awhile, it gets annoying.
* Do not add several pop up ads for each page. They are irritating and will most likely drive the visitor away from your site.
* Do not put music on your site unless the vistor can turn it off - another annoying feature - I have been known to leave sites that have midis on them - after hearing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" for the 100th time, I can't take it anymore.
* Do not put huge photos on your page - create thumbnails for those who would like to view a larger version
* Do not use a million frames to cut up your page.
* Do not use obscure fonts - unless the visitor has the bubblegum font installed on his/her computer/ they will only see their default font
* If you need to use a unique font, create is as a graphic.
* Do not center align EVERYTHING on the site.
* When designing business sites- use a white or subtle bordered background - It looks more professional
* Do keep a theme throughout the site - a logo and navigation on each page - This way the vistor knows he is still at the same site
* Do use the same font throughout the site - don't use verdana on one page and arial on another
* Keep animation to a minimum - Use it to draw attention to special offers or information
* Do use browser safe colors whenever possible
* Do make your site browser compatible - do not use scripts, applets, DHTML, etc. that are only compatible with one browser
* If you use cutting edge technology, design a second site for those vistors who still have a an older browser
* Do keep your vistors in mind - Design the site for the people who are going to visit, not for yourself You might like bold, bright colors, but a funeral directors site should use subtle colors and hues
* Do use height and width tags for your images - this loads the page faster and also is useful to search engine spiders
* Do add proper navigation on each page - At the very least you should have a home button on each page
* The ideal is both text and graphic "toolbars" on each page so that a vistor can get to any page on your site.
* Do design for the "three click" theory - this means that any section of your site should only be 3 clicks away
* Do use a site map for complex sites - this way if your vistor gets lost, they can always go back home or to the site map
* Do have fun!
Posted by AMMAR KHAN on
Mar 19, 2010 | Garmin nuvi 205W GPS Receiver
Mar 25, 2009 | Canon imageRUNNER C5180 Color Copier
Mar 03, 2009 | Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD Recorder
Sep 12, 2007 | Video Game Consoles & Games
255 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!