- DON’T OVERLOAD: Overloading not only is damaging to your clothes but also puts unnecessary stress on vital components. Compare overloading your washer to pulling a loaded trailer behind your family car all the time. Extra strain on the motor, transmission and suspension will most certainly shorten the life of your car. Oh, did I say your washer also has a motor, transmission and suspension?...How does overloading damage my clothes? Rubbing together of cottons causes linting. The more rubbing together the more linting and the shorter the life of the garment.
- DRAIN HOSE HEIGHT: Be sure to follow manufactures directions regarding proper installation. Washers have small pumps, either self powered or driven by belt off main motor. Ideally, the drain hose should hook into a drain pipe directly behind the console of your washer. If your hose is too high the pump takes longer to evacuate the water from the tub putting stress on your washer and possibly reducing cleaning effectiveness. Too low a drain hose and your water could siphon out of the unit during the wash cycle. I have been on calls where the customer said there washer would wash, stop, fill, wash, stop, fill etc. Water was siphoning from the tub.
- RUSTING: Clean surfaces frequently to avoid rusting, especially clean around the bleach dispenser as bleach is corrosive and will cause severe rusting if not kept clean and dry. If rusting has already appeared go to your hardware store and pick up a bottle of rust converter (not rust remover). Follow directions on bottle. This works very well on rust. It can also be painted over after 24 to 48 hours.
- SOAP SCUM : To reduce the build up of scum fill your washer with warm water, add a pint of vinegar and let it run through a full cycle.Follow this procedure once a month.
- BUY OEM PARTS: When replacing parts on your washer, be sure to buy genuine Whirlpool parts, Frigidaire parts, Kenmore parts, Maytag parts, or parts for whichever brand washer you have. This will guarantee you are using the most reliable replacement parts available.
Not finding what you are looking for?