Tip & How-To about Office Equipment & Supplies
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
This guide will
show you how to setup the Epson Stylus SX515w, without using the setup CD &
1) Using the Control Panel on the printer, press the Spanner/Screw driver button.
2) Scroll though the menu until you see Network Settings & press ok.
3) In the following menu select Wireless LAN Setup.
4) Then select Advanced Setup.
5) Then select manual Setup & press ok.
6) This guide assumes you are connecting through a router via Wi-Fi, in which case you will need to select Infrastructure Mode and then press OK.
7) Select Search SSID & this will search for your wireless network.
8) If your wireless network is showing, make sure it is highlighted then press OK.
9) Now you will need to enter the encryption type, this will depend on the length of the wireless key. WEP 64 Hex (10), WEP 64 Alpha (5), WEP 128 Hex (26), WEP 128 Alpha (13). Any router that has 8 characters I would normally recommend selecting WPA PSK TKIP UNLESS you know that the key is WPA PSK AES.
10) Now you will need to input the security key depending on which type you have, as advised above.
11) Once the key is in correctly you need to press OK. You will then see a Confirm Settings screen. Press OK on this screen and YOU MUST WAIT 30 SECONDS for the printer to establish a wireless connection with the router. After the 30 seconds please go down to Confirm Settings and press OK. This will tell you if it has successfully connected to the router. At this stage you need to make a note of the IP address. This normally starts 192.168.x.x
12) On the PC the printer will need to be installed, I recommend downloading the driver from here:
13) Once installed go to Start > Control Panel> Printers (This will vary slightly depending you version of Windows).
Right click on the printer, select properties (Printer properties for Win 7). Select the ports tab and add a new port.
When adding a new port select Standard TCP/IP, then click add new port.
NB The Standard TCP/IP port is recommended when assigning static IP address to the printer. (See router documentation on assigning static IP address).
If using a dynamic IP Address I would recommend downloading and installing the Epson net printer port. You can use a Standard TCP/IP port, however when the IP address changes communication between the printer and PC will be lost.
Setting up both port types are the same, once you select add port you will need to enter the IP Address, which we noted down previously from the printer. Once entered keep clicking next, then finish.
You should now be able to print over the network. To use the scanner over the network you will need to open Epson scan settings, (a separate utility to Epson scan) this will need to be set to network and contain the same IP address noted down earlier for the printer.
If you still have issues check your firewall and router settings, i.e. mac filtering etc.
Posted by Tim Hanlon on
Aug 04, 2010 | Epson Stylus Multifunction Inkjet Printer/...
Jan 30, 2010 | Epson Stylus Multifunction Inkjet Printer/...
Jan 10, 2010 | Epson Office Equipment & Supplies
Oct 19, 2009 | Epson Stylus Multifunction Inkjet Printer/...
Apr 03, 2008 | Epson Stylus Photo RX600 All-In-One InkJet...
4,735 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!